My husband Jack first made this Creamed Salmon and Peas Over Linguini for me many years back when we first started dating. It was one of many delicious dishes that Jack cooked for me back then in his attempt to impress me and let’s just say – it totally worked! 😉
Jack gives all the credit for this fantastic recipe to a former co-worker named Susan who worked for him back during his professional food service management career. At the time, the company Jack worked for had a “traveling chef” program where one chef went from location to location and cooked a specialty dish at made-to-order sauté stations.
Susan was one of the traveling chefs whose primary role in Jack’s professional kitchen was as ‘garde manager’ (a French term for ‘keeper of the food’) where she managed the cold food items including cold meats and salads and garnishes. But Susan was also a fantastic cook in other areas of the kitchen – and this Creamed Salmon and Peas Over Linguini was a recipe she became known for!
This Creamed Salmon and Peas Over Linguini was so popular that even after the traveling chef program ended, Jack’s customers asked for it again and again! The dish has tender chunks of salmon sautéed in a wonderful cream and mustard sauce that is flavored with pancetta and shallots, then served over linguini. (It’s incredible!)
This Creamed Salmon and Peas Over Linguini can be prepped ahead of time and assembled last minute (as Jack’s team did in a food service setting) – or prepared all at once and served immediately as described in the recipe below.Print
- 1 pound dry linguini
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 pounds thick salmon filet, skinned and cut into two inch pieces
- ¼ cup pancetta minced (about 2 ounces in weight)
- ½ cup shallots chopped (about 2 ounces in weight)
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1/3 cup country Dijon mustard (country Dijon is like whole grain and creamy Dijon mixed together)
- ½ pound (8 ounces) frozen green peas, thawed
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook linguini according to package directions.
- While linguini is cooking, heat a large non stick sauté pan with half the oil and half the butter over medium high. Once the butter is frothy and hot, add half of the salmon, placing the pieces in without touching. Sauté for about 1 ½ minutes and turn each piece with tongs. Cook other side for another 1 ½ minutes and remove to a platter. Add remaining oil and butter and once hot cook second half of salmon, removing to the platter once done. The salmon does not need to be cooked all the way through. It will cook further in the sauce.
- Lower the heat to medium and add pancetta and cook until almost crisp, about 2 minutes. Add shallots and cook for another two minutes until they start to get soft.
- Add wine and deglaze pan.
- Once wine has all but evaporated, add flour and stir. Mixture may be a little dry. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon until the raw flour smell is gone, about two minutes.
- While the flour is cooking, heat cream in the microwave until hot but not scorched. Add to the shallot mixture and keep the heat on a medium heat so the cream bubbles but does not boil. With a wire whip, stir in mustard.
- Taste and season only if needed. I did not season my finished dish any further.
- Add in peas and cooked salmon and gently stir and let simmer until the mixture thickens somewhat, up to five minutes. Remove from heat.
- To serve, place cooked drained linguini on a platter or individual serving dishes and ladle salmon mixture over the top.
- Garnish with optional chopped parsley.
You may also like: