A Roman Wedge Salad is a classic iceberg wedge salad topped with our homemade blue cheese dressing and crispy pancetta!
Whenever my husband Jack and I line up a babysitter or arrange a sleepover for our daughter, we often go out for dinner and a movie. Our date night dinner typically includes ordering one of our favorite salads: an iceberg lettuce wedge with blue cheese dressing – also known as a Roman Wedge Salad.
We’ve ordered wedge salads at many restaurants over the years, and one particular restaurant on Cape Cod prepares what we think is the absolute best version around! It’s a place called Tomatoes Italian Grille & Bar – a wonderful restaurant in Sandwich, Massachusetts. In addition to their huge food portions, reasonable prices, great service, fun atmosphere, and the convenience of a movie theater right next door (a perfect date night!) – their Roman Wedge Salad is expertly prepared and the inspiration behind today’s recipe.
What makes this salad so good is just simple, quality ingredients: A chilled wedge of crisp, fresh iceberg lettuce, a generous amount of rich and creamy blue cheese dressing, juicy, ripe tomato slices, plus a sprinkle of crispy pancetta. Nothing overly fancy – just the perfect combination of flavors and textures!
I think the best way to tackle eating this hearty salad is to chop up and toss everything together on your serving plate. This way the layers of iceberg lettuce and the tomatoes get coated with that luscious creamy blue cheese dressing, and you’ll also get bites of that crispy salty pancetta throughout.
By the way, when we make this Roman Wedge Salad at home, we also make this incredible homemade Blue Cheese Dressing. It’s easy to make and so much better than the bottled dressing from the supermarket! Enjoy!
You may also like:
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Grilled Romaine Hearts and Pears with Bleu Cheese
- Bacon-Wrapped Gulf Shrimp with Blue Cheese Butter and Port Reduction
- Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Sliders
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Crispy bacon also works in this salad in place of the pancetta, but we prefer using pancetta. Bacon has a sweeter, smokier flavor that we feel competes with the blue cheese dressing.
¼ pound pancetta
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
½ large head of iceberg lettuce
2 tomatoes sliced
2 cups blue cheese dressing
½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Unroll the piece of pancetta and chop into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan until hot. Add pancetta and cook over medium heat until crispy. Drain on paper towels and discard the fat.
- Cut the iceberg half into three or four wedges (depending on the size of your head of lettuce) and arrange on salad plates. Arrange tomatoes slices around each wedge.
- Pour blue cheese dressing over wedges and sprinkle the crispy pancetta over the top along with crumbled blue cheese. Serve immediately.
Keywords: wedge salad