This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
We first made these Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms with Mascarpone cheese a few years ago for a holiday party with my family and – wow – these are so good! We’ll never make any other stuffed mushroom recipe again!
These mushrooms are filled with a delicious stuffing made with sweet Italian sausage, panko bread crumbs (which make the filling lighter than using regular bread crumbs), garlic, scallions and other seasonings. Then, the filling is held together (and further flavored) with creamy mascarpone and parmesan cheeses. After baking, we’ve also added a swirl of mascarpone on top – partly for garnish – but also to add just a little bit of extra creaminess to these wonderful appetizers.
On that very first holiday, we made a double batch of these sausage stuffed mushrooms with mascarpone cheese, and my family ended up eating every last one! (So much so, they weren’t really hungry for dinner!) We guarantee, you’ll enjoy these as much too!
Our recipe was adapted from this recipe by Ina Garten which originally appeared on the Food Network.
- 12–16 large white mushrooms (about one pound)
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Marsala wine or medium sherry
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage remove from the casing.
- 6 scallions, white and green parts, minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove the stems from mushrooms and dice the stems very fine. Set aside.
- Place mushroom caps in a shallow bowl and cover with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and all of the Marsala. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Heat remaining two tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat in a 12-inch skillet. Add the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Brown completely (about 8 minutes), remove with a slotted spoon and cool slightly.
- Drain off and discard all fat retaining 3 tablespoons in the pan.
- Place the cooked sausage meat on your cutting board and dice fine (large chunks will cause the stuffing to break apart so this step is important).
- Return the sausage to the pan and heat back to hot. Add the minced mushroom stems and cook 3 minutes.
- Add the scallions and garlic and cook for another two minutes.
- Add the panko and stir to combine, then add 5 ounces of the Mascarpone cheese and stir until the cheese melts into the stuffing mixture.
- Remove from heat and add in the Parmesan cheese and minced parsley and stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cool mixture slightly.
- Divide the stuffing between all of the mushrooms and place in a single layer in a 8X8 baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the tops are browned and crusty.
- Take the remaining 3 ounces of mascarpone cheese and place in a small pastry bag with a small star tip. When you are ready to serve, pipe the mascarpone over the top of each mushroom, dividing evenly. Sprinkle a little chopped parsley over the tops for garnish and serve immediately.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: