Adapted from The Food Network
- 12–16 large white mushrooms (about one pound)
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 ½ tablespoons Marsala wine or medium sherry
- ¾ pound sweet Italian sausage remove from the casing.
- 6 scallions, white and green parts, minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 ½ tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove the stems from mushrooms and dice the stems very fine. Set aside.
- Place mushroom caps in a shallow bowl and cover with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and all of the Marsala. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Heat remaining two tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat in a 12-inch skillet. Add the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Brown completely (about 8 minutes), remove with a slotted spoon and cool slightly.
- Drain off and discard all fat retaining 3 tablespoons in the pan.
- Place the cooked sausage meat on your cutting board and dice fine (large chunks will cause the stuffing to break apart so this step is important).
- Return the sausage to the pan and heat back to hot. Add the minced mushroom stems and cook 3 minutes.
- Add the scallions and garlic and cook for another two minutes.
- Add the panko and stir to combine, then add 5 ounces of the Mascarpone cheese and stir until the cheese melts into the stuffing mixture.
- Remove from heat and add in the Parmesan cheese and minced parsley and stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cool mixture slightly.
- Divide the stuffing between all of the mushrooms and place in a single layer in a 8X8 baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the tops are browned and crusty.
- Take the remaining 3 ounces of mascarpone cheese and place in a small pastry bag with a small star tip. When you are ready to serve, pipe the mascarpone over the top of each mushroom, dividing evenly. Sprinkle a little chopped parsley over the tops for garnish and serve immediately.
Keywords: stuffed mushrooms, sausage stuffed mushrooms