I’ve officially declared the Salty Dog as my official summer cocktail! It’s a simple mix of grapefruit juice and vodka (or gin), served in a glass with a salted rim – and it’s my new favorite, summertime drink!
I had my first Salty Dog last month while dining out with some neighbors at The Chart Room, located on Cape Cod in Cataumet, Massachusetts. It was the first warm weekend of the summer, and this restaurant – a favorite of both locals and tourists – is a great place to take in some gorgeous sunsets overlooking Red Brook Harbor, and a great place to enjoy some delicious, fresh seafood and cocktails on the patio.
For some reason, that night I decided to stray away from my usual glass of wine at dinner and instead, I ordered a Salty Dog. I loved the salty-sweet-tart flavor combination! And while the version I drank that night used the common, yellow grapefruit juice – we decided to change up our homemade version by using the sweeter Ruby Red grapefruits instead!
If you know your cocktails, a Salty Dog is actually a variation of a “Greyhound” cocktail, just with a salted rim – and that’s how the Salty Dog got its name! The traditional proportions for this cocktail are 2 parts vodka or gin, to 3 parts grapefruit juice – which I will warn you – does make a fairly strong drink! Feel free to increase the grapefruit juice if (like me) you prefer a less ‘stiff’ drink. 😉 Cheers!Print
- Coarse kosher salt
- Ice cubes
- 2 parts vodka (or gin)
- 3 parts freshly squeeze ruby red grapefruit juice
- Slices of grapefruit, cut into quarters for garnish
- Pour kosher salt onto a small, flat plate. Wet the rims of a highball glass (we use edge of the slices of grapefruit that we cut for garnishing), then gently dip the rim of the glass in the plate of salt – spinning slightly to coat the rim with salt.
- Carefully fill the glass with ice cubes – being careful not to knock the salt off the rim of the glass.
- Pour 2 parts vodka and 3 parts grapefruit juice over the ice. Stir gently to combine and serve.
Keywords: Salty Dog cocktail
You may also like: