This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Over Labor Day weekend – after making our family’s recipe for homemade tomato juice – we got together with some neighborhood friends for a barbecue and kid’s sleepover.
Jack decided to make a cocktail – this Nautical Mary – using our fresh homemade tomato juice, clam juice and vodka along with some other ingredients for our party!
This cocktail was inspired by a recipe originally published in The New American Bartender’s Guide by John Poister – and we stayed pretty true to the original recipe. He named it the Nautical Mary – a different twist on a traditional Bloody Mary – but with clam juice added! (*See additional note below this post.)
It’s a fantastic drink – sort of like ‘garden meets ocean’ – and it’s really quite tasty!
As the night with our neighbors wore on – the grown-ups sat around our backyard fire pit, talking and laughing and enjoying our cocktails! We started brainstorming different names for this drink – such as ‘The Ipswich Mary’ (inspired by Ipswich, Massachusetts which is known for some of the best clams in the world!), the ‘Naughty Mary’ and the ‘Cape Cod Clam Shot’ – but by the end of the night, we decided to just stay with the original name given to this drink to give its creator, Mr. Poister, his proper kudos.
*Since publishing this recipe, a reader wrote in to let us know that a version of this drink, called the Bloody Caesar, originated in Canada is very popular in that country. Wikipedia tells more of the back-story behind the creation of the Bloody Caesar cocktail right here.
We love seeing what you made! Tag us on Instagram at @afamilyfeast or hashtag #afamilyfeast so we can see your creations!
- 3 ounces fresh tomato juice chilled (see our homemade tomato juice recipe here)
- 2 ounces good-quality vodka, chilled
- 2 ounces bottled clam juice, chilled
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish
- Crushed ice
- Lemon twist
- Celery stick
- Cherry and Sunglow tomatoes, skewered onto decorative picks for garnish
- Place tomato juice, vodka, clam juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, lemon juice and horseradish in a shaker, shake and pour over crushed ice.
- Top with a lemon twist and serve with a celery stick, tomatoes skewered and a straw.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also enjoy:
Leave a Comment