This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Over the last two days, we’ve shared the simple recipes for two ingredients that go into today’s Roasted Strawberry Crème Fraîche ice cream.
After tasting this scrumptious ice cream, my husband Jack said that this Roasted Strawberry Crème Fraîche Ice Cream is the best strawberry ice cream he has ever eaten!
Our oven roasted strawberries have a rich, intense flavor and the slight tanginess of the crème fraîche custard-based ice cream was a perfect complement to the sweetness of the strawberries. This ice cream is sweet – but not too sweet. And I like this ice cream best when it’s a little bit softened – that really allows the creaminess of the crème fraîche and roasted strawberry flavors to shine through!
As you may have seen over on Instagram – I was seriously craving a bowl of this Roasted Strawberry Crème Fraîche ice cream as I wrote today’s post. (I think this is destined to become a recipe we make again and again!)
Adapted from the crème fraîche ice cream recipe that appears in The Perfect Scoop.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
We love seeing what you made! Tag us on Instagram at @afamilyfeast or hashtag #afamilyfeast so we can see your creations!
Roasted Strawberry Crème Fraîche Ice Cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups crème fraîche
- 1 prepared recipe for Roasted Strawberries (approximately 1 ¼ cups)
- Begin by placing a fine mesh strainer over a medium-sized bowl (or a large measuring cup like this one works great because you’ll have a spout for pouring the cooled custard into the ice cream maker later on in the process). Set aside.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, warm the milk, sugar and salt over medium heat and stir, heating the mixture until the sugar dissolves.
- While whisking constantly, slowly pour the milk and sugar mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks and mix until well combined. Return the milk and egg mixture to the saucepan.
- Heat the saucepan over medium heat and stir using a heat-proof spatula, scraping the sides and bottoms as needed. Heat until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. (This will take less than 5 minutes – do not bring the mixture to a simmer or boil, or it will curdle.) Pour the thickened custard through the strainer and into the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a large piece of plastic wrap, pushing the plastic down to touch the top of the custard. (This will prevent a skin from forming on the custard as it cools.) Refrigerate overnight.
- Once chilled, whisk the crème fraîche into the custard. Pour the crème fraîche custard mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Just before the custard is done churning, pour in the Roasted Strawberries (including the sauce) and churn until well blended. Pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm (about 6 hours).
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment