This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups large dice onion
- ½ cup large dice sweet red bell pepper
- 2 medium jalapeños, stems and seeds removed, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds 80/20 ground beef
- 1 28-ounce can ground peeled tomatoes (we like Cento or Pastene)
- 1 14-ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- In a medium to large heavy bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, and jalapeños and sauté for three minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for one more minute.
- Add ground beef breaking beef up with wooden spoon. Cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add tomatoes and stir. Reduce to medium low and cook uncovered for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add beans and bring back to serving temperature.
- Add additional cumin, chili powder, salt or pepper if needed, and serve with shredded cheddar cheese on top.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.