As two people who both love to cook – my husband Jack and I each have our own way of doing things, and our own recipes for similar meals! Last year, we shared Jack’s Chili recipe – a really delicious chili that was based on some cook-off winning chili recipes that Jack has had the pleasure of tasting over the years! That recipe uses a long list of ingredients (31 to be exact!) to create a rich and complex flavor profile that is really quite fantastic!
But – amazing flavor aside – we’ve received some feedback from our readers that Jack’s chili recipe is just too complex, with too many ingredients for the average home cook! So…here is another option for you – my recipe for Quick and Easy Chili!
This quick and easy chili recipe uses commonly-found ingredients (you might even already have them in your kitchen) to create a classic, hearty and filling beef and bean chili with a gentle heat that adults and kids will both love! If you like your chili with more heat, you can add more cumin or chili powder at the end of the recipe. And – as the name of this recipe implies – it’s quick and easy to make and perfect for a game-day party or a hearty family supper!
And – be sure to come back here tomorrow because we will be sharing a recipe for an addictively good Chili Dip that uses this Quick and Easy Chili in the recipe!Print
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups large dice onion
- ½ cup large dice sweet red bell pepper
- 2 medium jalapeños, stems and seeds removed, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds 80/20 ground beef
- 1 28-ounce can ground peeled tomatoes (we like Cento or Pastene)
- 1 14-ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- In a medium to large heavy bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, and jalapeños and sauté for three minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for one more minute.
- Add ground beef breaking beef up with wooden spoon. Cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add tomatoes and stir. Reduce to medium low and cook uncovered for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add beans and bring back to serving temperature.
- Add additional cumin, chili powder, salt or pepper if needed, and serve with shredded cheddar cheese on top.
You may also like: