This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My husband Jack adores peas! During the summer, he can’t get enough of the fresh peas that we grow in our garden, and at any point in time we always keep a bag of frozen peas on hand in the freezer.
Jack is also a bit of a purist when it comes to preparing and eating peas. Plain and simple is best as far as he’s concerned! I – on the other hand – while I like peas, I prefer to eat them when they’ve been added to a dish, and I find plain ol’ peas to be just a little bit bland!
So when I first made this simple recipe for Peas with Prosciutto – where prosciutto, scallions, garlic, parsley and other seasonings are simply sautéed and tossed with frozen peas – Jack had already convinced himself that this wasn’t going to be a dish he’d enjoy!
But the day I started cooking this recipe for the first time, Jack wandered into the kitchen commenting on how delicious it smelled! Then – he took his first bite – and Jack the purist was converted, and he now says that these peas with prosciutto is one of his favorite ways to prepare his beloved peas!
This recipe was adapted from Everyday Italian by Giada De Laurentis who writes in her cookbook that she also likes to add these peas with prosciutto to scrambled eggs as another delicious way to enjoy this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2–3 shallots, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed through a garlic press or very finely minced
- 1 pound frozen peas
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil, then add the shallots and garlic. Sauté about 1-2 minutes or until the shallots are starting to get translucent.
- Add the peas to the skillet and stirring frequently, heat through (about 5 – 7 minutes depending on the size of your peas).
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add in the prosciutto, parsley, salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: