My husband Jack absolutely adores peas – and I think he would eat them as a side dish with every meal if he could!
I, on the other hand, like peas too but only when they are mixed with other ingredients or mixed into a recipe.
But – our Parmesan Peas with Pancetta and Shallots is a delicious recipe that Jack and I can both whole-heartedly love!
The inspiration for this recipe came from the vegetable freezer case at the supermarket. I was buying some frozen peas to have on hand, saw a package for ‘Parmesan Peas’ – and thought, “Hmmm…that sounds interesting!”
Once I got home, I asked Jack if he had thought about combining peas with Parmesan cheese – and the wheels in his mind immediately start turning!
These Parmesan Peas with Pancetta and Shallots are absolutely wonderful! The saltiness of the pancetta, the savory bite from the sautéed shallots, and a light and creamy Parmesan and basil cheese sauce are the perfect complement to the flavor of the peas.
This is also a super quick and easy recipe – so you can have this delicious side dish ready to serve alongside your favorite dinner in just minutes. Enjoy!Print
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 ounces pancetta, diced fine (rice size)
- 4 ounces shallots sliced (about 3 shallots)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 pound frozen petite peas, thawed
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil sliced into thin shreds (chiffonade)
- In a medium skillet or sauté pan, melt ½ tablespoon of butter over medium heat just to coat the pan and place in pancetta. Cook over medium until just starting to get crisp, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add remaining butter and shallots with salt and pepper and sauté until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cream and deglaze the pan, scraping any bits from the bottom. Cook for one minute then add peas.
- Cook just until hot, remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Serve immediately.
You may also enjoy: