We’ve been grilling a lot lately so we’re always looking for healthy and delicious side dishes to go along with our summertime meals. These Pan Roasted Tomatoes with Herbs are a terrific option with grilled meats – plus they are quick and easy to make!
Simply heat some olive oil in a large sauté pan. You want the tomatoes to be in a single layer while they roast, so just make sure you choose a large enough pan! Then add the tomatoes and your choice of herbs (we used basil, rosemary, parsley and thyme from our garden) plus some salt and freshly ground pepper. Allow the tomatoes to roast in the pan over low heat until they soften – and you’re done!
The pan roasting brings out a wonderful, almost caramelized sweetness in the tomatoes that is just fantastic! And of course, there’s nothing like the flavor of fresh herbs to really complement the juicy, sweet tomatoes.
These pan roasted tomatoes with herbs are fantastic served warm with dinner, and any leftovers can be reheated and used as the base for bruschetta (just toast some baguette slices and top them with some of these tomatoes along with some cheese). Plus – they are also delicious at room temperature added to a salad!
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You’ll Make Over and Over Again (Affiliate Links)Print
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. (Be sure to select a sauté pan large enough that the tomatoes will be in a single layer as they cook.)
- Add the garlic to the oil and cook for about 30 seconds – being careful not to let the garlic burn.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently so that all sides of the tomatoes roast evenly, until the tomatoes start to soften and lose their firmness.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle with some additional basil and parsley.
- Serve immediately.
You may also like: