This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 5–6 green bell peppers, see note
- ½ pound Italian bread, crusts removed, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 ½ cups golden raisins
- 2 whole eggs, slightly beaten
- ¾ cup Romano cheese, grated, plus more for serving
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 ½ cups tomato sauce, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Cut tops off of peppers and remove all seeds and ribs, set aside.
- Place bread in a large bowl and cover with milk, making sure the bread gets all soaked. Let sit 10 minutes.
- With your hands or a wooden spoon, mash bread and milk to form a thick wet mash.
- Add raisins, eggs, cheese, bread crumbs, ½ cup of the tomato sauce, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and black pepper and mix to combine.
- Spoon a tablespoon of oil in each pepper and swirl around, then place a tablespoon of sauce in the bottom of each cavity.
- Divide the filling between the peppers, loosely packed.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add all but two tablespoons of the olive oil to the pan.
- Once hot, place peppers into oil on their sides and over 25-30 minutes, cook and turn until all of the skin has been browned, including the bottoms.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a casserole dish large enough to hold the peppers, place a cup of tomato sauce on the bottom and as each pepper is browned, place face up into the prepared casserole dish.
- Drizzle about a teaspoon of olive oil over each and top with the remaining sauce.
- Cover with parchment and foil and bake for one hour.
- Serve immediately with additional tomato sauce and grated Romano cheese.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.