This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
We grew potatoes in our garden for the first time this summer and it was so fun to harvest them! Our daughter got the biggest kick out of digging through the dirt of our garden beds and finding each new potato – it was like a treasure hunt for her!
So with a bowl full of freshly-harvested, home-grown potatoes, we couldn’t wait to give them a try! We had a few days of cool and rainy weather last week, so comfort food was on the menu – and these decadent and delicious, Loaded Pub Fries really hit the spot!
To make our loaded pub fries, we start by frying up some slices of bacon for crumbling on top of the finished fries. But we save the rendered bacon fat and use that, along with some melted butter, to coat the potato wedges before baking. The bacon fat adds a ton of flavor, but what really elevates these loaded pub fries to a whole new level is that they are also seasoned with a touch of smoked paprika – giving the finished fries a gentle hint of smoky flavor that is just perfect with the bacon and cheese topping on the potatoes!
We also use a combination of sharp cheddar cheese as well as Manchego, a wonderful sheep’s milk cheese with a distinctive sweet and mellow flavor. Although using Manchego is not mandatory for these loaded pub fries –try to use it if you can because the flavor combination with the bacon and smoked paprika is really out of this world! Enjoy!
- 12 slices bacon, cooked crisp (reserve 1 tablespoon bacon fat)
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Manchego cheese, shredded
- 2 medium scallions diced
- Sour cream for garnish
- Cook bacon crisp and rough chop. Set aside. Reserve one tablespoon of the bacon fat.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut potatoes into wedges. Since all-purpose potatoes vary in size, try to keep the wedges uniform. You may get 8 wedges from one but 16 from another. Place potatoes in large bowl and add bacon fat, melted butter, salt, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Toss well to coat.
- Pour out potatoes onto a sheet pan in a single layer and roast for 15 minutes. Flip and roast for another 10-15 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Mound the potatoes into four piles. Cover each pile with the Machego cheese, then bacon then the cheddar cheese. Place the pan back in the over for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese. Alternatively, keep the fries in a single layer and cover with both cheese types and bacon and again place back in oven for 2-3 minutes to melt cheese.
- If serving individual servings, place each portion on a small plate, sprinkle with scallions and place a dollop of sour cream on top. If serving family style, slide fries onto platter, sprinkle with scallions and place several dollops of sour cream on top.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: