This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Our Key Lime Ice Cream with Graham Cracker Pistachio Crumb Topping is another delicious way to enjoy fresh Key limes!
This fantastic ice cream tastes just like a key lime pie – only in the form of ice cream. We started with our go-to homemade vanilla ice cream recipe but changed it up by replacing most of the sugar with sweetened condensed milk, and adding fresh Key lime juice and zest to really mirror the distinctive taste of a creamy-sweet key lime pie!
As fantastic and refreshing as the Key lime ice cream is – what really sends this over the top is a sweet graham cracker and pistachio crumb topping that we sprinkled over the top before serving. (Oh my – I’d eat that wonderful crumb topping as a snack all by itself – it’s that good!)
If you wanted to, you could also add the crumb mixture into the Key lime ice cream at the end of the churning process for more of a mixed-in ice cream – but we preferred keeping it as a separate, crunchy crumb topping!
For the Ice Cream
- 4 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons Key lime juice
- 3 teaspoons Key lime zest
For the Crumb Topping
- 1/3 cup coarse graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat milk, heavy cream, sweetened condense milk and sugar, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot. (This will take less than 5 minutes – do not bring to a simmer or boil.) Remove from the heat.
- Take about a cup of the hot mixture and very slowly drizzle it into the bowl with the egg yolks – constantly whisking while you add the hot mixture. (A slow drizzle will prevent the eggs from cooking as you add the hot cream mixture.)
- Once your egg mixture is smooth, slowly pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the hot cream mixture.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens a bit and coats the back of a spoon. (This will take less than 5 minutes as well, and again, do not bring the mixture to a simmer or boil, or it will curdle.)
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture through a fine strainer into a bowl (a large measuring cup like this one works great because you’ll have a spout for pouring the cooled custard into the ice cream maker once it has cooled). Add the Key lime juice and Key lime zest and mix well.
- Cover the bowl with a large piece of plastic wrap, pushing the plastic down to touch the top of the custard. (This will prevent a skin from forming on the custard as it cools.) Refrigerate overnight.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. After churning, freeze again for 4-6 hours before serving.
- While the ice cream is freezing again, prepare the crumb topping by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the crumb topping over the ice cream and enjoy!
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also enjoy: