This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Today we’re sharing a quick and easy recipe for Homemade Magic Shell! It’s so simple and takes only two ingredients – it can hardly be called a recipe – but it’s a delicious way to have some fun with your kids the next time you enjoy some ice cream!
Magic Shell is a syrup that hardens into a crispy shell when it’s poured onto a cold surface like ice cream. It was first invented in Australia and marketed under the name Ice Magic – but here in the United States, it’s marketed by Smuckers under the Magic Shell name.
Just melt chocolate chips and coconut oil together in the microwave and stir to combine. Allow the syrup to cool to room temperature and then pour or spoon it over a bowl of ice cream or dip a frozen ice cream pop into the syrup.
Allow it to set for a minute to two until it hardens – then have fun cracking your homemade magic shell into your ice cream!
This homemade magic shell should be kept at room temperature in an air tight container or jar. If the chocolate hardens, just microwave again for a minute or so until it melts back to pouring consistency.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 heaping tablespoon coconut oil
- Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a deep microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave for a few more seconds until the chips have all melted. Stir to combine.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before spooning over ice cream or using as a coating on a frozen ice cream pop.
- Note: Using a higher proportion of coconut oil versus the chocolate will result in a thinner shell so feel free to adapt the recipe to your liking.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: