This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Our Chocolate Malted Ice Cream has delicious malted milk flavor throughout! Creamy chocolate malted ice cream loaded with malted milk ball candies.
Today we’re sharing a really delicious recipe for homemade Chocolate Malted Ice Cream. This creamy, rich ice cream has a double dose of chocolate malted flavors that make this so good!
First the base of the ice cream is made with milk, cream, sugar and egg yolks and perfectly flavored by adding some chocolate malted milk powder. Then, while the ice cream was churning, we cut chocolate malted milk balls in half and added them to the ice cream maker at the last minute just to combine the candy pieces throughout the ice cream base.
The result is chocolate malted flavor through and through, and for me, the taste of chocolate malted milk reminds me of when I was a kid. I remember my dad making us malted milk shakes as a very special treat, so whenever I have chocolate malted ice cream it just brings me back in time!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Ovaltine (or other chocolate malted milk powder)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup Whoppers (or other chocolate malted milk candy)
- Prep your ice cream maker to make ice cream per manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan heat the milk, heavy cream, sugar and chocolate Ovaltine (or other chocolate malted milk powder), stirring often until the sugar and chocolate Ovaltine are completely dissolved and the mixture is hot, but not boiling.
- In medium sized mixing bowl, whisk the eggs yolks. Then, while continuing to whisk, temper the eggs by slowly pouring a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks. (When you temper the eggs like this, you will prevent the eggs from cooking as you add them to the hot cream mixture.) Keep whisking and adding more of the hot mixture until there is about a cup of the hot cream mixture in with the egg yolks.
- When the egg mixture is smooth, slowly add it to the remainder of the hot cream mixture in the saucepan, whisking constantly.
- Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens a bit and it coats the back of a spoon. (Be careful not to let the mixture boil or get too hot, otherwise the mixture will curdle.)
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture through a fine strainer that has been placed over a large bowl. (Discard any egg solids that are left behind in the strainer.)
- Cover the cream mixture with a piece of plastic wrap – placing the plastic directly against the mixture so that a skin will not form. Let chill overnight or for at least 4-6 hours until completely chilled.
- When you are ready to churn your ice cream – refer to your ice cream maker manufacturer’s instructions.
- While the ice cream is churning, cut each Whopper (or other chocolate malted milk ball) in half.
- When the ice cream is almost done churning, add the Whopper candy halves into the ice cream and churn until the candy is completely dispersed throughout the ice cream.
- Let churned ice cream chill for at least another 4-6 hours before serving.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.