This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
For all of you celebrating today, Happy Thanksgiving!
In addition to sending you our holiday wishes, today’s post is also a friendly reminder to save that turkey carcass after your Thanksgiving meal! You’ll need it to make this delicious Curried Turkey and Rice Soup!
Start out by making a homemade turkey stock (you can find our recipe here) with that leftover turkey carcass from your holiday dinner. Then – while the turkey stock cooks – roast some cubed butternut squash in the oven until caramelized (or if you have leftovers from your Thanksgiving dinner, just use that in this soup).
Once those initial steps are done, you’re about 15 minutes away from a delicious Curried Turkey and Rice Soup. In addition to the butternut, this soup has chunks of turkey, peas, carrots, onion and celery in a creamy turkey broth that is lightly flavored with curry powder and sage.
As written, the curry flavor in this Curried Turkey and Rice Soup is very subtle – just enough to add a delicious warmth to the broth. If you love the taste of curry – you can add more; and if you aren’t a fan of curry – feel free to leave it out.
- 1 pound fresh butternut squash, see note
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Few grinds black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups small diced carrots
- 1 cup small diced onion
- ½ cup small diced celery
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- ½ teaspoon dry sage
- 1 teaspoon dry curry powder
- 8 cups turkey stock, divided, see note
- 1 pound cooked turkey meat cubed (white or dark or both)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- ½ cup half and half
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- If using uncooked squash, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. (If using leftover cooked squash, skip to step 3.)
- Peel and seed the squash, cut in half top to bottom, brush with oil, salt and pepper and roast on a foil lined pan until soft, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Once the squash is soft, place in food processor with a cup or two of the turkey stock and puree until smooth.
- In a five quart soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat and add carrots, onion and celery and sauté for four minutes.
- Add rice and sauté two minutes.
- Add sage and curry and stir.
- Add remaining turkey stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower to a low simmer and cook until the rice is tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Add the cooked turkey, pureed squash, and peas and heat just to hot.
- Remove from heat and add in the half and half, taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: