This Christmas Jam is a simple sweet-tart jam made from strawberries and cranberries. Recipe includes a FREE label printable for gift giving!

I know it’s Halloween today…but we’re already getting ready for Christmas!  Homemade gifts for the holiday season are some of my favorites to give and receive – especially when they are as delicious as our Christmas Jam!

This simple jam is a sweet-tart mix of strawberries and cranberries (plus sugar and pectin) – and the flavor combination is out of this world! (It’s so good, my husband Jack says he doesn’t want to give any of these jars of jam away this Christmas!)

In addition to this jam being super delicious, one of the best things is that it is super easy to make! Scroll below to our recipe card to watch a video showing how it’s made.

This Christmas Jam also cans very well, so even though Christmas is still a little less than two months away, it will be here before you know it!  So you can make this Christmas Jam now before the holiday rush and then you’ll be all ready for gift-giving!  It’s also the perfect jam to use in these cookies.

This recipe is from the Tougas Family Farm cookbook (you can see it here). I’ve seen other versions of Christmas Jam online with orange zest or orange peel added, but we liked the simple sweet strawberry-tart cranberry contrast of flavors the best! You can use fresh or frozen strawberries and cranberries (we used a combination of both) – so use whichever is best for you!

And to make your gift-giving even easier – we’re sharing a free printable for the Christmas Jam labels you see in our photos!   They are sized for these two inch round labels to stick to the top of half-pint decorative jars, or to create a gift label as shown in the photo at the top of this post.

Christmas Jam is a simple and delicious treat that everyone on your holiday gift list will love!  (And here’s one last helpful tip – this Christmas Jam is a delicious alternative to cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving!  If your guests don’t like the tart flavors of cranberry sauce, they will probably love this jam instead!)

Please note: You must DOWNLOAD THE LABELS FIRST before you will be able to print them.

Christmas Jam Label Download

Christmas Jam - A Family Feast

Christmas Jam

• Total Time: 15 minutes
  • Yield: 14 half-pint jars

If you are planning to can this jam, have your sterilized jars, rims, bands and canning tools ready and sterilized ahead of time.

• 2 packages (20 ounces each) frozen whole strawberries (fresh strawberries may also be substituted)
  • 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 5 pounds sugar (This is not a typo – 5 pounds is the correct amount. Some readers have told us that they successfully used less sugar when making this jam.)
  • 2 pouches (3-ounces each) liquid fruit pectin

1. In a food processor, pulse the strawberries and cranberries – you can process them to a finely chopped texture for a completely smooth jam, or leave some fruit partially chopped for a chunkier jam.
  2. Pour the processed fruit into a large heavy-bottomed pot. Add sugar and over medium high heat, bring the fruit and sugar mixture to a full rolling boil.
  3. Boil for 1 minute.
  4. Remove the pot from the heat and add the pectin, stirring to mix completely.
  5. Allow the jam to cool for 5 minutes, then skim off the foam on the top.
  6. Ladle the hot jam mixture into sterile half-pint jars, leaving ¼-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims clean, cover with hot lids and screw on the jar bands.
  7. Process the jars for 10 minutes in a water bath. (Read more how to’s here).
  8. Makes about 14 half-pint jars. Recipe may be halved.

Pasta Frolla Christmas Jam Cookies

Pasta Frolla Christmas Jam Cookies - A Family Feast

Bog Hollow Cranberry Brownies

Bog Hollow Cranberry Brownies - A Family Feast

Mandarin Marmalade

Mandarin Marmalade - A Family Feast

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti - A Family Feast

Comments

• Margaret wrote:

This is so great! Husband and toddler approved! I can’t wait to give some out for Christmas! Thank you again so much for this recipe!

So glad you enjoyed the jam Margaret! Merry Christmas!

• Evelyn wrote:

Going to make this along with my green jalapeno jelly and put a jar of each in little basket for christmas…

What a great idea Evelyn! Love it!

• Margaret wrote:

Hi! This looks great, I’m making it today. I’m planning on some half pint jars and some pints. How long should I process the pint jars? This is only my second time canning and I’m still getting the hang of it. Thank you!

Hi Margaret – Could I suggest that you check out the Ball Canning website for canning guidance? I’ve only canned half-pint jars for 10 minutes and I’m not a canning expert otherwise. Here is the link: http://www.freshpreserving.com/

• Margaret wrote:

Thank you! Looks like it’s the same amount of time to process. They’re in the canner now. My three year old is so excited, keeps asking if it’s ready yet. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

• Devin Rose wrote:

Made this yumminess this morning! So excited. Is it acceptable to can & then process at a later time? For example, can in the morning, process at night? Totally new to canning. If I don’t process, it’ll keep for a couple weeks in the fridge, correct? Thanks so much!

Hi Devin – If you haven’t canned it right away, then yes – it can be stored refrigerator for a few weeks. However, you really want to process the jam while hot in sterilized jars right away. I’m afraid if you jar the jam without following the proper sterilization methods, then process it later, the jam won’t be sterile. I would really encourage you to read up on water bath processing on the Ball Canning website: http://www.freshpreserving.com/getting-started

• Kathy wrote:

Hi,
    Thank you for the Christmas Jam receipe. It was fun and easy to make and very good. I’m sure all my friends will love getting a jar. The jam is a good combo of tart and sweet. Even though it called for 5 lbs of sugar it wasn’t too sweet.
    Kathy and Kandice

You’re very welcome Kathy and Kandice! So glad you enjoyed the recipe as much as we do – and I hope your friends will love it as well. Have a wonderful holiday!

• Jessica wrote:

Hello! I just finished making this but it is really watery. I followed all instructions. Does it thicken up or should I cook it more?

• Korina wrote:

hi..if liquid pectin is not avalaible what else can I use? And in what quantity?

• Melissa wrote:

I made this last year and we loved it! Gave it as Christmas gifts and plan to again this year. My son is a diabetic though and I usually make my jams with the low sugar pectin. Do you have a low sugar recipe for this?

Hi Melissa – I’m sorry I don’t. We’ve only made the recipe as written in the post but if you scan through the comments, there are some readers who made the recipe with less sugar. Hope that helps!

• Linda wrote:

Can regular pectin be used instead of liquid pectin?

• Sandi wrote:

Is that the right amount of sugar cause 5 pounds seems alot lol

Yes – it’s correct! Feel free to read through some of the other comments. We had some readers reduce the amount of sugar last year.

• Taylor wrote:

Okay…my night is ruined!!!! For what I was GOING to do!! I have to rush out to the store and get everything to make this ASAP!!! I was hoping to find a recipe to use my pomegranates in. Such as, like a topping, with strawberry’s, cranberry’s, raspberry, blueberry’s and of course the juice
    from my pomegranates. Any of the above mixture I think would be terrific. Im going to make your recipe, then try it with the pomegranate juice and maybe raspberry and blueberry’s in a batch. To use like on top of ice cream, or french toast, or cheesecake topping. If you have any great ideas…(which I’m sure you do!) PRETTY PLEASE LET ME KNOW? Im doing your batch tonight, tomorrow or next the rest. Thank you so much for posting this…sounds DELISH!

Hi Taylor! This recipe is definitely a jam – not really a looser spread for cheesecake (although it would be delicious on cheesecake!). You could definitely try swapping out some of the strawberries and cranberries for pomegranate or other berries in this recipe – please let us know how it comes out!

• Teri wrote:

Pomegranates make a wonderful jelly also. I used to make pomegranate jelly for Christmas gifts when I lived in California and had a pomegranate bush.

Sounds wonderful Teri! Thanks for the suggestion!

• Cyndy wrote:

What is the shelf life for this great lookin recipe?

Hi Cyndy – Assuming that you’ve canned it correctly – I’d say 6-12 months. We have some jars that we canned back in December and recently opened and they are still perfectly good!

• Linda wrote:

Does this really use 5 pounds of sugar? Can it be made as freezer jam?

Hi Linda – Yes – 5 pounds is correct (it makes a fairly large batch). If you read through the comments, I believe another reader successfully made it using less sugar. I haven’t made this as a freezer jam – please let us know how it comes out if you try it!

• Paula wrote:

Thank you for this delicious recipe! We made Christmas Jam using fresh Florida strawberries. We made a half recipe and used 7 cups of sugar. Had the left overs with chicken tonight. WONDERFUL!

Thanks Paula! So glad you are enjoying the jam as much as we do! (We eat it year round…not just at Christmas!)

• Julie wrote:

Omg my grandson just loves this jam. Every time I go to visit he asks me if I brought some. So today I’m making him is very own jars. He is going to be super excited. This is such a great recipe and easy as well. Thanks from a excited grandma.

You’re a very sweet grandma Julie! So glad you are all enjoying the recipe!

• Debbie wrote:

i made one batch of your Christmas jam and gave it as gifts to family and friends. Everyone loved it. I’m freezing cranberries now so I can make more next spring when local strawberries are available again. I only wish I had kept some for myself. Thanks for the recipe and the cute labels. They made the gifts even more special.

Thanks Debbie! So glad you all enjoyed the recipe as much as we do! Happy New Year!

• Marion wrote:

Martha, how kind to share the recipe and the labels with us. I truly appreciate it! Will make it this week to give as gifts to family I didn’t see over Christmas…:-)

I hope you all enjoy the jam Marion!

• Alaine wrote:

I’ve made this same recipe for many, many years…it’s awesome! Everyone returns their jars for more, it’s that GOOD! I’ve yet to have time this year to make, so it’ll be after Christmas or maybe this week when I get the chance to make it. However, everyone will forgive me for being late with their favorite Christmas present!

Thanks Alaine!

• theresa wrote:

You can eliminate the foam by adding a tiny bit of butter to the cooking jam mixture towards the end!

Thanks for the tip Theresa! I’m going to try that the next time we make this jam!

• pam wrote:

Thank you for sharing. Perfect idea for new gift giving. Looking forward to trying it.

Thanks Pam! I hope you enjoy the recipe!

• Kathy Durling wrote:

Will this recipe work as freezer jam? Could it be frozen instead of canned?

Hi Kathy – I’m sorry – don’t know if this jam has the same properties as freezer jams.