Growing up in a big Polish family, kielbasa and other smoked sausages were a frequent (and favorite) part of many family meals! Kielbasa is ‘in my blood’ – and today – it takes just one bite and I’m happily reminded of my childhood dinners.
So I am incredibly excited to partner today with Hillshire Farm and Ahold USA to share this easy-to-prepare, delicious Cheesy Smoked Sausage Skillet recipe with all of you as part of their Smoked Sausage #SausageSoSimple program!
Hillshire Farm is our go-to brand anytime we buy smoked sausage and kielbasa. And all Ahold USA Supermarkets (including Stop & Shop, Giant and Martin’s grocery stores) carry all of the brands I trust in a friendly, convenient atmosphere. I shop there because I know I will find all of the ingredients I need to prepare quick meals that my family loves.
Our recipe today uses Hillshire Farm Beef Polska Kielbasa – but any of Hillshire Farm’s other delicious smoked sausage products would be great in this Cheesy Smoked Sausage Skillet. Simply sauté diced russet potatoes, onions, and green bell pepper in a skillet – then add in your favorite sliced Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage. Finally, pour a simple and cheesy sauce over the top – and dinner is ready!
Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage is pre-seasoned, so even if you haven’t cooked with smoked sausage before, it adds quick, foolproof flavor to any recipe.
This Cheesy Smoked Sausage Skillet is pure comfort food with fantastic flavor. And – even better – it only takes about 30 minutes to get a delicious and filling dinner on the table for your family!
Create your own weeknight meals with Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage! Visit SausageSoSimple.com for more recipe inspiration, and share your recipes over on Pinterest using the hashtag #SausageSoSimple. (We’d love to see your creations!)
Additional disclaimer: My husband Jack is an employee of Ahold USA but this has no way affected the opinions stated here.Print
- 1 pound russet potatoes (approximately one large potato)
- 1 cup diced onion, ½ inch dice (approximately one medium onion)
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper, 1 inch dice (approximately one medium pepper)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 12-ounce package Hillshire Farm Beef Polska Kielbasa, cut into 1-inch half circles
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ pound sliced yellow American cheese, diced
- ¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- Small pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- Peel and cut potatoes into one-inch dice and place in a bowl of water. Let sit in the water until the other ingredients are prepped and you are ready to cook.
- In a cast iron skillet, melt two tablespoons of the butter with the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Drain the potatoes, then add to the skillet along with the diced onions. Cover and cook for five minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, place milk, American and cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, mustard and nutmeg in a microwave-safe container and microwave for 90 seconds on high. Whisk the mixture together and microwave again just until the cheese melts and a cheese sauce is formed. Remove from the microwave. Hold for later.
- Add the remaining butter and green pepper to the potato mixture in the skillet and turn and mix using a spatula. Cook for 8 minutes turning occasionally with the spatula, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the smoked sausage, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for two minutes covered and turn off the heat under the skillet. Pour cheese sauce into the skillet and stir to coat. Serve immediately.