You asked for it – so we’ve got another recipe for you today that we made using our delicious Chai Spice Mix from earlier this month. These Chai Sugar Cookie Squares are rich, buttery and sweet – and another delicious way to get your chai spice fix!
These Chai Sugar Cookie Squares are adapted from a recipe by the Momofuku Milk Bar – the popular, award-winning chain of dessert and bakery restaurants in New York City. The original recipe shared here uses cinnamon in the sweet sugar topping, but we swapped in our chai spice mix for a more unique, spicy flavor that is wonderful with this simple sugar cookie base.
These Chai Sugar Cookie Squares are extremely easy to make. The cookie batter mixes up quickly, then it is spread into a greased, jelly roll-sized baking pan. Just before baking, sprinkle with granulated sugar mixed with the chai spices. Bake for twenty minutes – and you’re done!
Recipe adapted from Momofuku Milk Bar via Bake or Break.Print
For Chai Sugar Topping
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon Chai Spice Mix
For the Cookie Squares
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened to room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 11×15-inch baking/jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make the Chai Sugar Topping by placing ¼ cup granulated sugar and ½ tablespoon of the Chai Spice Mix in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking soda and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add oil, eggs, milk and vanilla extract and mix again to combine.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl with the butter and egg mixture, mixing very thoroughly to combine.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan, using an offset spatula to spread the batter to the corners. Sprinkle the top evenly with the prepared Chai Sugar Topping.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges are light brown. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Cut into 24 squares.
You may also like: