This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Our Catalina Dressing is the perfect dressing to top off our delicious Taco Salad. And why use store-bought when a homemade Catalina dressing is so easy to make?!
The key to a good Catalina dressing is to strike the perfect balance between the sweet, savory and spicy flavors! And – you’ll be pleasantly surprised to learn that probably already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen!
If you are a regular here at A Family Feast, then you might have noticed that I often like to research the history of foods and recipes (blame it on my journalism background) and share what I’ve learn with you – but I’ve read conflicting theories on the origin of Catalina dressing. Some sources merely attribute the original dressing to Kraft Foods which has sold Catalina dressing for many years. Others claim this dressing was inspired by Catalonia (a region of Spain) – where the Catalan people often prepared recipes with a mix of sweet and savory flavors.
Either way – this dressing is fantastic on salads like our taco salad, and it works great as a marinade on meat as well!
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of salt
- Few grinds black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon Coleman’s dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup canola or grapeseed oil
- Place all ingredients except the oil in a blender. Blend until liquefied. Remove the center opening of the top to the blender and while on low speed, slowly add all of the oil. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Refrigerate for up to one week.
- Note: For a bolder sweeter tangier dressing, substitute half of the red wine vinegar for champagne vinegar.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: