Buffalo Chicken Bites are crispy phyllo pastry cups stuffed with zesty, shredded buffalo chicken, cheese, and diced tomatoes with green chiles – then topped crumbled bleu cheese for serving.
Buffalo Chicken Bites are a must-make appetizer for any party!
Creamy buffalo chicken dip is combined with zesty tomatoes, topped with mozzarella cheese and baked in mini phyllo shells. Just before serving, top each cup with a sprinkle of bleu cheese.
I couldn’t stop eating these – they’re so good!
Why You’ll Love Buffalo Chicken Bites
- The different flavors and textures in every bite are so good – we couldn’t stop eating them!
- Prep is super easy, and you can do most of it ahead of time.
- You can vary the spiciness to suit your tastes.
Key ingredients and Substitutions
- Buffalo Chicken – Cook up a batch of our Shredded Buffalo Chicken (see recipe here). You can also use rotisserie chicken, or canned cooked chicken to save some time – then mix with a little Frank’s RedHot Sauce, sautéed onions, butter, and cumin.
- Cheeses – Three different cheeses are used in this appetizer – cream cheese, shredded mozzarella, and bleu cheese.
- Ro*Tel Diced Tomatoes with Chiles – We used mild, but you can use their Original, Hot or Fire Roasted varieties. Or, use plain canned, diced tomatoes (without any chiles) if you want a less spicy version.
- Phyllo Cups – These come pre-baked and frozen from the supermarket. We used the Athens brand and each 1.9-ounce box contained 15 cups. (Our recipe makes enough to fill 30 cups so buy two boxes.)
Special supplies needed
- Medium microwave-safe bowl
- Medium sheet tray
How do I make Buffalo Chicken Bites?
- Prepare the Buffalo chicken according to this recipe. (Or as mentioned above, buy a few cans of cooked chicken, or pick the meat from a rotisserie chicken and combine with a hot sauce, butter, sauteed onions, and cumin.)
- Place Buffalo chicken, cream cheese, mozzarella cheese and drained diced tomatoes in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 30 seconds.
- Stir the ingredients in the bowl to combine.
- Fill each phyllo cup with the filling, dividing evenly among the 30 cups. (It’s OK to mound the tops if necessary to use up the filling.)
- Bake for 15 minutes on a foil-lined pan.
- Remove the cups from the oven and immediately top with blue cheese.
- Serve as is, or with celery sticks on the side.
Chef’s Tip – Sprinkle on the bleu cheese as soon as the cups come out of the oven. The cheese will start to soften and melt over the top of the cups.
Frequently asked Questions
Can I make Buffalo Chicken Bites ahead of time? You can make the filling ahead of time, then simply fill and bake when ready to serve. We do not recommend prefilling the cups as the moisture from the filling will make the phyllo soggy and fall apart.
Should I thaw the phyllo cups before filling? No thawing is necessary – just fill with the Buffalo chicken mixture and bake.
How do I store leftovers? Store leftovers covered and refrigerated for up to two days. Note that the phyllo cups will get soggy over time however.
How do I reheat the leftovers? Heat in the oven on a baking sheet until warmed through.
Can I freeze these? You can freeze the filling, then thaw and fill the cups when ready to bake.
You might like these other Buffalo Chicken recipes:
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Slow Cooker Pulled Buffalo Chicken
- Classic Buffalo Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Buffalo Chicken Nachos
1 cup prepared Slow Cooker Pulled Buffalo Chicken, see note below for alternatives
4 ounces cream cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 10-ounce can Ro*Tel diced tomatoes with chilies, drained well
2 1.9-ounce boxes phyllo cups (30 pieces total)
1 cup bleu cheese, crumbled fine
Celery sticks, optional for serving
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Line a medium tray with foil and lay out the 30 phyllo shells.
In a microwave safe bowl, add buffalo chicken, cream cheese, mozzarella cheese and drained tomatoes.
Place in the microwave for 30 seconds on high to soften the cream cheese and heat the filling. Microwave longer if needed.
Using two small spoons, divide the filling between the 30 cups. It’s fine to mound the filling in the cups.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Remove the pan and sprinkle on the bleu cheese over each one and serve immediately with optional celery sticks.
- If you want to make a smaller quantity of chicken – You can also use rotisserie chicken, or canned cooked chicken to save some time – them mix with a little Frank’s Hot Sauce, sautéed onions, butter, and cumin.
- If the bites cool off as you are topping with the blue cheese, place back into the oven for a minute or two to reheat.
Keywords: Buffalo Chicken Bites