This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I’m always thrilled when one of our readers writes to us after seeing one of our recipes here on A Family Feast! And, I’m especially thrilled when our readers are so inspired that they want to share one of their own family recipes with us! Both Jack and I consider old family recipes like true treasures – it’s a glimpse into a family’s history and a seat at their own family table.
Such is the inspiration behind today’s recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Granola Muffins – or, as our reader Fran called them, “Gruffins”! Gruffins are basically muffins that have granola added to the batter. Fran saw our earlier recipe for homemade multigrain cereal and wrote to us in the comments offering up her family-favorite gruffin recipe from this 1978 cookbook, Make-a-Mix Cookery: How to Make Your Own Mixes. (Affiliate link.)
Fran’s gruffins recipe sounded great – and when I recently bought some banana granola at the supermarket, I decided to play up the banana flavor even more by adding ripe mashed banana to the original recipe, and I also added chocolate chips (which was Fran’s suggestion)!
These Banana Chocolate Chip Granola Muffins are moist, delicious and hearty and make the perfect breakfast-on-the-go! Feel free to substitute in other flavors of granola if you can’t find the banana flavor – the granola simply adds more texture to the batter so any flavor will work in this recipe!
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups banana granola (or plain granola if you can’t find the banana flavor)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Butter or shortening and flour to prepare the muffin tins
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, sift both flours, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in granola.
- In a medium bowl, mix brown sugar with mashed bananas, eggs, whole milk and oil.
- Add wet to dry and mix.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Butter and flour 16 muffin cups.
- Divide batter between the muffin cups filling to top.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on racks or serve warm.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: