We’re sharing this Homemade Multigrain Cereal made with SPLENDA® Sweeteners as part of a sponsored post for SocialStars #SplendaSweeteners #SweetSwaps
We are a family of cereal lovers! But when I read the cereal package labels, I don’t love seeing all of the sugars in some of the store-bought brands we buy.
The solution? Our delicious Homemade Multigrain Cereal! Making your own homemade multigrain cereal is super easy – and you can really customize the ingredients based on what your family prefers.
Our homemade multigrain cereal is a mix of rolled oats, ground flax, sesame seeds, walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, and sunflower seeds, plus coconut, dried cranberries and currants, as well as cinnamon, nutmeg, honey and vanilla extract. And – we used SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend for less added sugar.
The process to make this cereal is actually quite similar to making granola. In a bowl, stir together the grains, nuts and spices you want to use in your cereal.
Once mixed, pour a warmed melted mixture of SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, honey, canola oil and vanilla over the dry mixture.
Stir again to coat the dry ingredients and bake on a sheet pan until lightly golden brown.
Once it comes out of the oven, pour into a bowl and stir in your dried fruits (and more nuts if desired). Then spread again on your sheet pan to cool completely.
Once your homemade multigrain cereal is cooled, store in an air-tight container. Enjoy as a cereal, sprinkled on top of yogurt or oatmeal, or as a delicious snack!
SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend is a great recipe swap when you’re looking for ways to add sweetness to a dish but with less added sugar. It offers the same sweetness as regular brown sugar, but without all the calories! All SPLENDA® Sweeteners are versatile, and they can be used in baking, cooking, and beverage mixing.
Visit the Sweet Swaps program here for hundreds of ways to save calories by swapping full sugar for SPLENDA® Sweeteners. For more information visit SPLENDA® on their website, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram.Print
- ¼ cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats
- ½ cup walnut pieces, roughly chopped (leave some big pieces), or any other nut such as pecans
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened – your choice)
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds, or any other seed such as pumpkin
- ½ cup yellow ground flax (available in most markets and big box stores), or oat bran or wheat germ if ground flax cannot be found
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup dried currants
- ½ cup pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small sauce pan, heat SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, honey, oil and vanilla until melted together and dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place oats, walnuts, almonds, coconut, sunflower seeds, flax, sesame seeds, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine and add Splenda mixture. With a wooden spoon stir and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Place on two parchment lined sheet trays and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, stir and place back in oven for 10-20 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour hot mixture into a large bowl; add cranberries, currants and pine nuts. Mix to combine then pour back onto sheet pans to cool.
- Once cool, store in sealed container.
You may also like these recipes using SPLENDA® Sweeteners: