This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 3 pounds of chicken bones, or small hens uncooked
- 5 pound chicken fryer
- 6 chicken feet, or 6 chicken necks, or one turkey wing
- 6 chicken wings
- Enough hot tap water to cover
- 2 1/2 ounce peeled and sliced ginger
- 1 full bunch of scallions
- 1/4 onion peeled (about three ounces)
- 2 stalks celery cleaned and broken in half
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 gallons cold water
- In a large stock pot, place chicken bones or hens, fryer, feet or necks or turkey wing and chicken wings. Fill with just enough hot water to cover. Quickly boil and simmer for five minutes. Strain and discard the water – this will remove most of the impurities from the stock.
- Wash the stock pot and return chicken products back to pot.
- Place all other ingredients in with the chicken and fill with 1 ½ gallons of cold water.
- Slowly bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 4 hours, skimming occasionally.
- Once the stock has simmered and reduced, strain and reserve stock for Asian recipes.
- Stock may be frozen. (We use zip lock bags to freeze the stock and thaw out the stock as needed).
- Pick the meat from the whole fryer and save for soup or other dishes. Discard all other solids.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.