Asiago Potato Stacks are super simple to make! These delicious potato stacks are the perfect, elegant side dish to any meal!

Asiago Potato Stacks - Super simple to make, these delicious potato stacks are the perfect, elegant side dish to any meal!

We’re already starting our Christmas dinner menu-planning, and these Asiago Potato Stacks are a delicious and elegant side dish perfect for any holiday meal!

How do you make Asiago Potato Stacks?

Thinly sliced potatoes are first coated in a mixture of melted butter, extra virgin olive oil, grated Asiago cheese and fresh lemon thyme. (You can use regular thyme if you can’t find the lemon thyme.)

Then the potato slices are stacked in a muffin pan to create individual servings, and a final extra sprinkle of Asiago is added to the top before baking.

These pretty little Asiago potato stacks come out of the oven tender on the inside but golden brown and crispy on the edges! This recipe couldn’t be any simpler – and I think they are beautiful too!

You can get creative with the type of cheese and herbs used in this recipe as well. Asiago has a distinctive, salty taste which is perfect for this recipe, but you can also use Parmesan or Romano if you prefer.   We also used a mix of Russet and yellow (Yukon Gold) potatoes in our recipe – just for variety – but you can use just one type of potato if you’d wish.

Asiago Potato Stacks - A Family Feast

Asiago Potato Stacks

• Total Time: 1 hour
  • Yield: 12

A few notes: Asiago cheese is a hard cheese similar to Parmesan or Romano but has a unique taste that is fantastic in this recipe. It is available in most supermarkets. Also optional – sea salt is sprinkled on top after these come out of the oven. If sea salt is not available, coarse kosher salt is fine or the salt can even be omitted.

• 2 large long Russet potatoes, about 1 ½ pounds
  • 1 pound yellow potatoes, such as Yukon Gold. (Try to find smaller sized potatoes that when sliced will fit a muffin tin)
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme chopped, (regular thyme if lemon thyme is not available), plus more to sprinkle on tops
  • 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ½ cup freshly grated Asiago cheese, plus more for tops, see note
  • Grey sea salt to top finished stackers (optional)
  • Pan spray

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Fill a large bowl with water and as you peel each potato, place them in the water until you are ready to slice.
  3. In a small bowl, microwave butter with oil, thyme, salt and pepper until butter is melted. Stir in grated cheese.
  4. Dry each potato as you remove from water. Discard water. Using a mandolin, slice potato slices horizontally as thin as possible and place in a large bowl. When you are about half sliced, pour about half the butter mixture over top. Slice the rest and add to the bowl and top with remaining butter mixture.
  5. With your hands gently work the potatoes and butter mixture to coat.
  6. Spray a 12 cup standard muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  7. Layer slices of potatoes in each cup dividing equally. Discard any liquid left in the bowl. Sprinkle a little additional cheese over each stack and bake for 40-50 minutes or until browned and crispy and cooked through.
  8. Allow to sit for five minutes to set up, then serve, removing each portion from the muffin pan with a soup spoon.

You may like these other Potato Recipes:

Asiago Potato Stacks

Asiago Potato Stacks

Featured in this Asiago Potato Stacks post

Comments

• Beth wrote:

You had said you could use different herbs and or cheese. Have you used other herbs other than thyme? (I’m not a big fan of thyme) and was wondering what would be a good alternative

Hi Beth – Rosemary is a nice alternative or marjoram. You could also go in a more Greek-inspired direction with some oregano and feta cheese. Hope that helps!

• Vivian Mcmillan wrote:

It’s 5*****truly been the besr as side plate Ny time in the year
    Looks amiazing teast better crispy with cheese
    All my grandchildren loved and aske for more please
    I have made this potato also with spinach and it was great also Also I made this potatoes as a rose and also
    We’re nice good presentstation and test absolutely scrumptiousthank you for Charing you are amazing thank you

Thank you so much Vivian! We love your ideas for adding spinach and making the potatoes as a rose too!

• Rose Laing wrote:

I’m going to try these stacked potatoes. They are beautiful. One question: why the long russet potatoes and then yellow potatoes? Do you use them differently?

Hi Rose – We used a mix of the two potatoes mostly for texture purposes as they bake up differently, but you can certainly use one or the other if that is easier. We hope you enjoy the recipe!

Hi Renee – We’ve only made the recipe as written. I’d be more inclined to bake completely and then reheat just before serving. That way, the appropriate amount of moisture from the potatoes will bake off completely during the first bake – I think if you only partially bake, the slices will get mushy.

• Renee Klein Plummer wrote:

Do you think it’s possible for me to have cook them and finish it off where I’m going to a dinner party ?

• The Steaming Pot wrote:

Those are some seriously tempting stacks! Guess I’ll have to go for parmesan instead of asiago – can’t seem to find asiago in these parts. Thanks for the recipe and gorgeous pics.

Thanks Chef! Parmesan is a great substitute.

• Sherry G. wrote:

Your recipes are wonderful, exquisite, delicious, and have easily written instructions. I love to cook and have been cooking for many years. Thank you for sharing these wonderful recipe’s. Sincerely Sherry

Thank you so much Sherry! We appreciate you taking the time to write to us today – you’ve made our day! 🙂 Martha

• Cindy Neuhaus wrote:

Made the Asiago Potato Stacks last night & OHMYYYYY are they ever delicious! There were only 4 of us, but only one stack was left!

So glad you enjoyed the recipe Cindy!

• Kathy wrote:

Can the potato stackers be made ahead of time and then reheated when ready to eat?

Yes Kay – I wouldn’t recommend freezing them, but they could be made earlier in the day and then reheated. Hope that helps!

• Boineelo Matsuokwane wrote:

Hello

I love potatoes, they look so yummy. I was wondering what other cheese I can use instead of Asiago?

Hi – You could substitute Parmesan or Romano cheese. The flavor is a little different but they will definitely work for this recipe!

• Boineelo Matsuokwane wrote:

thank you Martha for the reply. I will definitely try them…:) 🙂

• Betty wrote:

Finally made these! They were fantastic and quite beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Thanks Betty! So glad you enjoyed the recipe!

• Lisa wrote:

I just made a double batch of this (5 pounds of potatoes) for a big dinner party! Naturally, I made extras to “taste” them. They are amazing! I never met a potato I didn’t like and I love this recipe!!

Thanks Lisa – So glad you enjoyed the recipe as much as we do!

• Lynette @ Victory Homemaking wrote:

Made these for a dinner party this past week. Loved the presentation, was super easy to make, and the flavor was divine.

Cut the potatoes on my mandolin 1/8″. Can’t have “cow” dairy right now so substituted butter with ghee and the Asiago with Manchego, which is made with sheep milk. Lovely. Thank you for sharing this great recipe!

You’re very welcome Lynette! So glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for taking the time to write to us today!

• Janice wrote:

These are about the most gorgeous potatoes I’ve ever seen. I just saw their picture on Pinterest and had to come take a closer look and get the recipe. Not having a mandolin, I wonder if the potatoes would be thin enough if I sliced them with either my spiralizer or food processor with the 2mm blade?

Hi Janice – I’m not sure about the spiralizer (I’ve only used it for the spiral cuts) – but the food processor might work – or sliced by hand as thin as you can!

• Nancy wrote:

Merry Christmas! I’ve been saving this recipe for our Christmas dinner. Perfect to go along our Prime Rib.

Merry Christmas Nancy! Hope you enjoy the recipe!

• Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom wrote:

Martha, just saw this. . these are amazing!!! Wow!!! pinning for my christmas dinner menu!

Thank you Alice! Hope you enjoy the recipe!

• kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox wrote:

Amazing! I love the crispy edges, potatoes are my weakness and I could eat like 10 stacks of these. No problem.

• Kim Beaulieu wrote:

Omg these are my favourite kind of potatoes. I love how the edges crisp up. Gorgeous photos. I’m such a potato girl, I could eat them every single day. And often do.

• Meseidy wrote:

What a great way to serve potatoes!

• Lauren @ Healthy Delicious wrote:

These are gorgeous and I love the combination of Asiago and lemon thyme – I bet these are delicious!