This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 2 large acorn squash
- 2 Gala apples, or other hard baking apple
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose four
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry sage
- 1 cup applesauce (sweetened or unsweetened is fine)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut squash in half horizontally and remove seeds. Pull or cut off stem if attached and on the other end, slice off a tiny sliver of the end so that it sits upright in a pan without rocking.
- Place all four squash halves cut up in a 9×13-inch glass baking dish.
- Peel, core and cut apples into one inch cubes and place in large bowl.
- Immediately cover with lemon juice and toss to coat.
- Add zest, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, salt, sage and apple sauce and mix.
- Divide evenly between four acorn squash halves.
- Cut the butter into four pieces and press one piece down into the center of each filled squash.
- Pour water into the bottom of the baking dish to come about one third of the way up.
- Cover pan with parchment and foil and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness and bake for 15 minutes more if needed.
- Then uncover and bake for 15 minutes more to brown tops. (Ours took the entire hour and 15 minutes).
- Remove from oven and serve. (The outside squash skin is not meant to be eaten.)
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.