This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Apple Doughnut Bombs are light and delicious apple cinnamon topped doughnuts with a sweet apple surprise inside!Hi everyone. This is Jack with a recipe for the perfect sweet treat for a Fall breakfast – these Apple Doughnut Bombs! Don’t ask me where this recipe came from…I went to a party a few weekends ago with Martha and ate too much pizza and drank too much beer. As a result I tossed and turned all night and dreamt of blog recipes! These Apple Doughnut Bombs just popped into my head and when I work up the following morning, I wrote the recipe down before I forgot it. Then after guzzling some coffee, I began working on recipe development. These Apple Doughnut Bombs taste like a cinnamon sugar cake donut that is baked with a little apple surprise in the center. They bake up light and sweet and are addictively delicious. And although these apple doughnut bombs are fantastic – no more pizza and beer just before bed for me! 🙂
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 small Gala or other baking apple, cored, peeled and cut into one inch chunks
- Kitchen pan spray for muffin tin
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix both types of flour and baking powder until blended.
- Add sugar, spice, and salt and mix again to combine.
- Add cold butter and mix to break up into a crumb like mixture.
- Heat the cream and sour cream in the microwave for about a minute to hot but not boiling.
- Add vanilla and eggs to dry mix and start mixer. Then slowly add hot cream mixture and mix just to combine. Do not over mix.
- Spray standard muffin tin with kitchen pan spray.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop half the mixture into nine cups of the tin.
- Take nine apple pieces and plunge into the center of the batter in each cup then top with the remaining batter. (You will not use the entire apple)
- Bake for 15 minutes then remove from the oven.
- While the apple bombs are baking, melt butter in a medium bowl and place sugar and cinnamon in another medium bowl. Stir cinnamon into sugar.
- When muffins come out of oven, immediately roll each one all over in the butter then the cinnamon sugar. Place on a rack to cool. Repeat for all nine apple bombs.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.