Because I put this recipe together on a whim, it does not yield exactly one dozen, but instead it makes nine. If you want a dozen, the math gets a little fuzzy to extend the recipe ingredients because you end up splitting an egg and you have some off cup measurements – so I figured it was best left at a yield of nine apple doughnut bombs. However you could make smaller portions and spread the batter out to yield 12 if that is important to you, just adjust the baking time by a few minutes less.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 small Gala or other baking apple, cored, peeled and cut into one inch chunks
- Kitchen pan spray for muffin tin
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix both types of flour and baking powder until blended.
- Add sugar, spice, and salt and mix again to combine.
- Add cold butter and mix to break up into a crumb like mixture.
- Heat the cream and sour cream in the microwave for about a minute to hot but not boiling.
- Add vanilla and eggs to dry mix and start mixer. Then slowly add hot cream mixture and mix just to combine. Do not over mix.
- Spray standard muffin tin with kitchen pan spray.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop half the mixture into nine cups of the tin.
- Take nine apple pieces and plunge into the center of the batter in each cup then top with the remaining batter. (You will not use the entire apple)
- Bake for 15 minutes then remove from the oven.
- While the apple bombs are baking, melt butter in a medium bowl and place sugar and cinnamon in another medium bowl. Stir cinnamon into sugar.
- When muffins come out of oven, immediately roll each one all over in the butter then the cinnamon sugar. Place on a rack to cool. Repeat for all nine apple bombs.