This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Over the holidays, we usually have some out-of-town family that stays overnight at our house – so we like to prepare a nice breakfast! This recipe for Apple and Cheddar Baked French Toast is a great breakfast or brunch option that any guest will love!
This apple and cheddar baked French toast is a warm and comforting dish! It starts with raisin bread – plus apples and more raisins. Then shredded cheddar cheese is mixed in – helping to mellow and balance the sweetness of the raisin bread and apples. The cheese also melts completely into the baked French toast making it soft, flavorful and creamy! Additional spices including cinnamon and nutmeg also complement the other flavors in this dish!
This apple and cheddar baked French toast is sweet – but not too sweet – and you can eat it as we’ve shown, with just a little bit of powdered sugar sprinkled over the top. Or – if you’d like, you can serve it with your favorite syrup or a sweet or fruit-based sauce. Your guests will love it!
We love seeing what you made! Tag us on Instagram at @afamilyfeast or hashtag #afamilyfeast so we can see your creations!
Apple and Cheddar Baked French Toast
- 1/2 loaf Pepperidge Farm Swirl Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- 1 1/2 cups peeled diced apples
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 egg whites plus 1 whole egg
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Reserve 3 slices of bread and cube the rest.
- In a large bowl toss cubed raisin bread with apples, cheddar cheese, raisins, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, mix milk, egg whites, whole egg, honey, vanilla extract and salt.
- Pour wet over dry and mix. Pour the entire bowl into a 2 quart casserole dish and lay the whole slices over top, pressing down with a wooden spoon so everything is soaked. The whole slices can be cut to fit the shape of the casserole dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 8-24 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover the top with parchment paper cut out to fit casserole dish then cover with foil.
- Bake covered for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes until puffed and browned.
- Turn off oven and let dish sit in oven for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven, dust with powdered sugar, and serve warm with syrup, fruit or sweet sauces on the side.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also enjoy:
Mascarpone Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
Hawaiian French Toast with Pineapple and Mascarpone
Leave a Comment