Our Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini is a great way to use the abundant amounts of zucchini that everyone seems to be growing in their gardens this summer!
Fresh zucchini are cut and stuffed with a super flavorful mixture of Parmesan and Romano cheeses, Panko bread crumbs, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and sautéed onion and then baked until tender and golden. We recommend using small to medium zucchini for this recipe so that each zucchini is a single portion (although larger zucchini will work too, and you can just cut the larger squash in half).
We actually make these vegetarian stuffed zucchini year-round at our house – and turning on the oven, even in the summer, is totally worth it when you’re making this delicious dish! These vegetarian stuffed zucchini are a delicious and hearty meatless Monday meal option, or the perfect side dish to just about any kind of grilled or roasted meat. It’s a delicious way to get even the pickiest eater to eat their vegetables and this is definitely a recipe you’ll want to make again and again! Enjoy!
- 2 small to medium zucchini squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup sweet red pepper ½ inch diced
- 1 cup diced Crimini mushrooms ½ inch diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅛ cup grated Romano cheese
- Additional grated parmesan to sprinkle over cooked squash
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Trim stem end from squash. Cut about ⅓ off the top of each squash horizontally. Then cut a small horizontal sliver from the bottom so that the squash will sit flat and not roll. Dice the tops to ½ inch dice and set aside.
- Using a small paring knife, cut around inside of squash then using a melon-baller, scoop out inside until the squash resembles a canoe. Try not to cut through to the bottom.
- In a large skillet or frying pan heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook two minutes. Add garlic, red pepper, mushrooms and cut up zucchini tops. Mix to combine and sauté one minute.
- Remove from heat and mix in oregano, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, crumbs and both cheeses. Mix to combine.
- Divide the filling between each zucchini boat and press into squash filling and pressing as you fill to hold shape.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes uncovered. Try not to over cook, otherwise the zucchini will start to sag and the filling will not stay in.
- As soon as they come out of the oven, sprinkle the tops with additional Parmesan cheese and serve.
You may also like: