My friend Jessica is a fellow foodie and whenever we see each other, she often tells me about great recipes that she has made for her family! A while ago (last winter actually) she told me about this delicious white bean soup that her family loved – and it was the inspiration behind today’s Slow Cooker Tuscan White Bean Soup!
This Tuscan White Bean Soup couldn’t be any easier to make – it’s literally one of those recipes that you just toss everything into the slow cooker and then press the ‘on’ button. It’s a simple soup – navy beans, garlic and diced carrots, celery and onion – plus a collection of dried herbs including bay leaf, rosemary, thyme and smoked paprika, as well as salt and pepper.
We adapted the original recipe by adding in some prepared pesto at the end which really added a great boost of flavor to this hearty and filling soup!
This soup can be puréed in a blender after it is cooked to give it a completely smooth consistency if you’d like. We preferred a slightly chunky soup – so we only puréed half of the cooked soup and then stirred it back into the rest of the cooked beans and diced vegetables before serving.
Recipe adapted from Budget Bytes.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 cup diced onion (about 1 medium)
- 1½ cups sliced carrots (about ½ pound)
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 pound dry navy beans, rinsed and picked over to remove any debris
- 1 bay leaf (left whole)
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper (15-20 cranks from a pepper mill)
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup prepared pesto (see our recipe here or your favorite jarred version)
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- In a large (5-quart+) slow cooker, pour in the olive oil and tip to coat the bottom of the slow cooker insert.
- Add all of the other ingredients – EXCEPT the salt and the pesto – to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove the lid and stir the soup. Place half of the soup into a blender and process until smooth (leave the other half in the slow cooker). Pour the pureed soup back into the slow cooker with the un-pureed soup and stir to combine.
- Stir in the pesto plus 1 teaspoon salt and stir again to combine. Add additional salt and pepper to taste if desired.
You may also like: