Today we’re sharing a quick and easy recipe for Pickled Red Onions – and I have to say – I think this is one of the prettiest recipes we’ve shared here on A Family Feast!
But gorgeous colors aside – these pickled red onions are super delicious and very versatile! They add a wonderful zip of flavor when added to a salad of tossed greens or diced into a macaroni salad! Pickled red onions add a bright, fresh flavor to sandwiches – and are a perfect contrast to meats such as pulled pork. And they are fantastic added to fish tacos. My husband Jack even eats them straight from the jar – they are so good!
And even better – pickled red onions take just minutes to prepare using common ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen! They will last in the refrigerator for one to two weeks (if they aren’t eaten before then). We added a single jalapeño to our pickled red onions for just a hint of heat – but that is optional and can be left out if you’d prefer!
- 1 ½ pounds red onion, peeled, trimmed and cut into thick half-moon slices
- 1 ½ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeno seeded, stemmed and sliced into half circles
- 1 small bunch cilantro, tied with string
- In a medium pot, bring all ingredients to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered for five minutes. Remove from heat and let cool (remove the cover from the pot while cooling).
- Once cooled, remove and discard the cilantro.
- Store onions covered in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.
You may also like: