- 1 ½ pounds red onion, peeled, trimmed and cut into thick half-moon slices
- 1 ½ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeno seeded, stemmed and sliced into half circles
- 1 small bunch cilantro, tied with string
- In a medium pot, bring all ingredients to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered for five minutes. Remove from heat and let cool (remove the cover from the pot while cooling).
- Once cooled, remove and discard the cilantro.
- Store onions covered in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.