This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Zucchini Ham and Rice Skillet is a hearty and filling meal that cooks up in minutes – perfect for when schedules get busy, or when you just don’t want to spend a lot of time and effort cooking!
When my husband Jack first made this delicious recipe, it reminded me of a heartier version of having breakfast for dinner! This skillet meal includes sautéed zucchini and chunks of ham that have been tossed together with white rice, onions and pancetta. Finally, two eggs are scrambled in which gives this dish a creamy texture, and a final sprinkle of Romano cheese finishes things off!
This zucchini, ham and rice skillet is slightly unconventional (I’ve never seen a recipe like this before!) – but we love it, and it’s a delicious comforting meal served any time of the day!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound zucchini cut into bite sized pieces (2 small or one large squash)
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, left whole
- 8–ounce ham steak, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- Beat the eggs with the black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a skillet with a tight fitting cover, place over medium high heat and add one tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Sauté zucchini for 2-3 minutes until slightly browned but not cooked through. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the second tablespoon of oil and the pancetta. Cook to render fat from pancetta and cook till almost crisp.
- Add onions and rice and sauté for 2 minutes stirring often. Add stock and whole thyme, cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer covered for 15-20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Remove and discard thyme.
- Remove cover and add in cooked zucchini and ham.
- Move the rice mixture to the edges of the pan and add the eggs to the center and scramble with a wooden spoon until cooked. Add the Romano cheese and stir the entire mixture to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: