This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 4 cups Tuscan kale leaves tightly packed (4 ounces in weight), see below for preparation
- 9 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces in weight sharp white cheddar cheese, grated fine (about a heaping cup)
- 4 ounces in weight Gruyere Swiss, grated fine (about a heaping cup)
- 1 pound zucchini, shredded on large holes of box grater and squeezed of liquid
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup shallots, chopped small
- 4 ounces in weight Genoa salami, diced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove kale leaves from stems by pulling the leaves off with your hand in a downward pull starting at the thick end of the stem. The leaves should tear right off. Freeze the stems for a vegetable stock or discard. Take the leaves and stack them on top of each other (This should weigh four ounces). Roll them up the long way like a cigar shape and with a sharp knife, cut into cross strips. Then run a knife down the strips the opposite direction to cut into slightly smaller pieces. Place in a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold running water. Let sit in colander while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and add spices and beat again. Add cream and beat to combine then beat in both cheeses. Stir in zucchini. Set this aside.
- Heat a 12” skillet over medium high heat and add oil and butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add shallots and salami and sauté for three minutes.
- Add cleaned wet kale to pan and cook for about 4-5 more minutes or until kale is slightly tender but has not changed color. Once it turns from a deep dark green to a pale green, it has cooked too long. Remove it from the heat just after it is slightly tender.
- Pour in the egg mixture and stir and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes and remove.
- Turn on broiler and broil just until top has browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.