This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
For the Meatballs
- 1 cup chopped white bread with crusts removed (Sandwich or Italian or sourdough or ciabatta, etc.)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup finely minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
For the Sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers, seeds removed (unless you like it hot)
- ¼ cup dried pineapple pieces (or any other dried fruit such as mango)
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1½ tablespoons corn starch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl place bread and cream. Mix and press down so bread absorbs liquid.
- In a large bowl place egg, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, ginger, sugar, vinegar and ketchup. Mix to combine.
- Go back to small bowl with bread and beat with a fork or small whip so mixture is mushy with no pieces.
- Add to large bowl along with pork and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Add beef and gently fold into mixture until just incorporated.
- Using a small scoop, scoop out 36 meatballs.
- Line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Fill a small bowl with water and start wetting your hands and rolling each meatball and place on prepared pan. Keep wetting your hands as you roll.
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven.
- While meatballs are cooking make the sauce. Place ginger, garlic, peppers, dried fruit, vinegar, water, ketchup, sugar and salt in a blender and puree. Place this mixture in a medium to large sauce pan and heat.
- Mix water with corn starch and add to pan and stir to form a thick sauce.
- Place meatballs in sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- To serve, remove meatballs from the sauce and serve on a platter.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.