This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This post is sponsored by McCormick Gourmet. All opinions are 100% mine.
Cooler fall temperatures are definitely here to stay, and we’re turning to hearty comfort foods that warm us up! Today’s Smoky Joe recipe definitely fits the bill!
Our Smoky Joe is a delicious twist on the classic ‘sloppy joe’ sandwich – with a wonderful, deep smoky flavor thanks to McCormick Gourmet Smoked Paprika! This family-friendly meal cooks up in just minutes, and both kids and grown-ups will love this dish!
We first made a flavorful ground beef mixture that also included sautéed onions, green and red bell pepper, shredded carrots, finely diced celery and garlic. Then we smothered it in a tomato-based sauce that was flavored with McCormick Gourmet Smoked Paprika, Chili Powder, Mediterranean Oregano and Ground Mustard plus a few other ingredients! Just spoon your Smoky Joe onto a soft roll – and dinner is ready!
McCormick Gourmet offers three different types of gourmet paprika including their classic Paprika, their Hot Hungarian Paprika (we used that in this recipe), and of course the Smoked Paprika we used in today’s recipe!
Paprika is a wonderfully versatile seasoning! It can be used as an in-recipe seasoning like we did in our Smoky Joe recipe today – and it’s also delicious in this Hungarian Chicken Paprikash recipe. And, paprika is also a perfect festive and flavorful garnish – so be sure to add any (or all) of these spices to your collection!
We love seeing what you made! Tag us on Instagram at @afamilyfeast or hashtag #afamilyfeast so we can see your creations!
- 2 pounds ground beef (80/20 mix)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely minced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, passed through a garlic press or finely minced
- 1 6–ounce can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Ground Mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 14–ounce can pureed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons McCormick Gourmet Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Mediterranean Oregano Leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- Bulkie or Kaiser rolls for serving
- In a large skillet or cast iron pan, sauté the ground beef over medium heat until cooked. Remove from heat and pour into a strainer catching liquid. Let the fat rise to the top of the liquid, reserve just one tablespoon of the fat and all of the liquid. The liquid that the beef gives off will be used later along with the one tablespoon of fat.
- In the same pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, onions, both peppers, carrot and celery and sauté four minutes. Add garlic and sauté for one more minute. Add tomato paste and cook for another minute.
- Add all other ingredients including cooked beef, reserved liquid and fat. Stir to combine.
- Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes to incorporate flavors, stirring often. Add more water as needed. Remove from heat and serve in bulkie or kaiser rolls, or your favorite burger roll.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like these other recipes featuring McCormick Seasonings:
Grilled Seasonal Vegetables with Infused Oils
Lemon Garlic Shrimp with Savory Root Vegetable Rice Pilaf
Leave a Comment