A Sloppy Tom Sandwich is Sloppy Joe’s delicious poultry cousin – a play on the name “Tom” given to a male turkey! As you can probably guess from the name of this saucy sandwich, we’ve swapped in ground turkey for the typical ground beef that makes up this classic family-friendly meal.
Very lean ground turkey can sometimes be lacking in flavor – so we added lots of flavorful ingredients to this Sloppy Tom Sandwich blend including pancetta, onions, green bell pepper, carrots and onions. The sauce – with a mix of poultry seasoning, dry mustard, chili powder, tomatoes, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar – plus some cheddar cheese melted in at the end, also lends more fantastic flavors.
Once cooked, our Sloppy Tom Sandwich mixture can be kept warm in a slow cooker and served at your next game day party with some soft sandwich rolls. It’s a meal that kids and adults will both love!Print
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, diced fine
- ½ cup onion, diced fine
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced fine
- 1 medium carrot finely shredded, about 1/3 cup
- ¼ cup celery, diced fine
- 2 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Few grinds black pepper
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- I 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Rolls for serving
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat place oil and pancetta and cook until crisp, about five minutes.
- Add onion, pepper, carrot, celery and garlic and sauté over medium for about ten minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Move the vegetables to the sides of the pan and place the ground turkey in the center along with the poultry seasoning, mustard, chili powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook over medium breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon until completely cooked through, about five minutes.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar. Cover, heat to bubbling then turn to low and cook for ten minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar cheese and serve immediately over your favorite sandwich rolls.
You may also like: