Plum Habanero Salsa combines fresh, sweet plums and spicy habaneros in a tomato-based salsa. Great on pork tenderloin or with your favorite tortilla chips.
This post is sponsored by Ball® Fresh Preserving. All opinions are 100% mine. #BallProudlyHomemade
IMPORTANT NOTICE DATED July 22, 2019: Ball® Fresh Preserving has updated the recipe for their Plum Habanero Salsa since this post was first published on July 15, 2019. If you created the earlier version of this recipe, it is recommended that you refrigerate and use your salsa within several weeks rather than store it for future consumption. The recipe now listed below is safe for canning.
See details below for a special promotional offer when you buy a Ball® Preserving Starter Kit, plus a chance to win $1,000 to make over your dream garden!
Our local supermarket is brimming with fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables. So now is the perfect time to make this zesty and delicious Plum Habanero Salsa with fresh plums, spicy habanero peppers, and garden-grown tomatoes. We found the recipe over at BallHomeCanning.com.
Cook up a batch of this easy salsa now, while plums are in-season, then preserve a few jars to enjoy for months to come with our easy perfect pork tenderloin recipe.
New to Canning?
No worries…Ball® Fresh Preserving has you covered! The Ball® 9-Piece Preserving Starter Kit is perfect for any aspiring canner. It includes all of the necessary tools for canning and a recipe card with step-by-step visual and written instructions that make learning the canning process as easy as possible. (You’ll also need a large, deep, covered stock pot to use as a hot water canner.)
The Ball® 9-Piece Preserving Starter Kit includes 4 half pint jars, preserving rack, real fruit classic pectin, jar lifter, headspace/bubble remover tool, and jar funnel, plus a step-by-step instruction sheet, and a coupon for a 12-pack of Ball® Mason Jars. You can buy your Ball® 9-Piece Preserving Starter Kit by clicking here.
As a new home canner, I think you’ll also love knowing exactly what goes into every jar: real, natural ingredients, and no preservatives or unnecessary additives. You can proudly serve this Plum Habanero Salsa knowing that it is homemade!
How do you make Plum Habanero Salsa?
You’ll start by roasting some fresh, garden tomatoes in the oven. This roasting process really helps intensify the flavors of the tomatoes.
While the tomatoes are roasting, prepare your hot water canner and your Ball® Pint Mason Jars.
Add the roasted tomatoes in a large pot, along with pitted and diced plums, diced red onion, minced habanero peppers, fresh minced garlic, lime juice, plus salt and coriander. You even add a splash of tequila to this Plum Habanero Salsa if you’d like!
Simmer until your Plum Habanero Salsa thickens (about 20 minutes), then ladle the hot salsa into your prepared jars and can according to the instructions from Ball® Fresh Preserving. (It’s easy – even a beginner can do this!)
How do I serve Plum Habanero Salsa?
This salsa recipe is fantastic served over grilled shrimp or our Perfect Pork Tenderloin recipe. Or, grab the chips and guacamole and serve this Plum Habanero Salsa as a delicious snack or appetizer.
The fresh sweet plums absorb some of the heat of the habaneros and mix well with the tomato-based salsa.
Visit BallHomeCanning.com for more new, seasonal recipes from Ball® Fresh Preserving, and to find new promotional offers throughout the summer.
From July 9th through August 5th, get a free pack of Ball® Regular Mouth Plastic Storage Caps when you buy a Ball® Preserving Starter Kit and upload your receipt.
Ball® Fresh Preserving is also hosting a sweepstakes through July 31st, where you can make one of their new recipes yourself for a chance to win $1,000 to make over your dream garden! See full details on BallHomeCanning.com.Print
Recipe reprinted with permission from BallHomeCanning.com
- 2 lbs tomatoes, cored and halved
- 3 lbs firm-ripe plums, pitted and diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Tequila (optional)
- 1/3 cup bottled lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and crushed (or 1 teaspoon coriander powder)
- 2–3 Habaneros, minced (we recommend using gloves when handling the habanero peppers)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Halve tomatoes and place on a baking sheet cut side down. Roast 20 minutes then turn tomatoes over and roast an additional 10 minutes. Let cool then roughly chop.
- Prepare simmering water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.
- Combine tomatoes with remaining ingredients in a stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer, cook stirring frequently until plums soften and salsa thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Ladle hot salsa into a hot jar leaving a ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Bring water to boil and process jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove canning lid, let jars stand 5 minutes.
- Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.
Pairs well with: Prawns or our Perfect Pork Tenderloin
Keywords: Plum Habanero Salsa