Recipe reprinted with permission from BallHomeCanning.com
- 2 lbs tomatoes, cored and halved
- 3 lbs firm-ripe plums, pitted and diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Tequila (optional)
- 1/3 cup bottled lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and crushed (or 1 teaspoon coriander powder)
- 2–3 Habaneros, minced (we recommend using gloves when handling the habanero peppers)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Halve tomatoes and place on a baking sheet cut side down. Roast 20 minutes then turn tomatoes over and roast an additional 10 minutes. Let cool then roughly chop.
- Prepare simmering water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.
- Combine tomatoes with remaining ingredients in a stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer, cook stirring frequently until plums soften and salsa thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Ladle hot salsa into a hot jar leaving a ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Bring water to boil and process jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove canning lid, let jars stand 5 minutes.
- Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.
Pairs well with: Prawns or our Perfect Pork Tenderloin
Keywords: Plum Habanero Salsa