Nutella Crunch Ice Cream Cake recipe - Just 3 ingredients! Super easy and amazingly delicious! Great for a crowd!

My husband Jack and I started A Family Feast because of our love of food.  We are enthusiastic about sharing great recipes that we’ve made ourselves so that you – our wonderful readers – can enjoy them too!

So every once in a while, we try a new recipe – like this one for Nutella Crunch Ice Cream Cake – that is so delicious and gets us so excited that we rearrange our calendar to share it here as soon as possible!

Three simple ingredients make up this Nutella crunch ice cream cake – Nutella, Rice Krispies cereal, and vanilla ice cream – all combined together into one fantastic, and super easy-to-make dessert!  First Rice Krispies are coated with melted Nutella and then cooled before stirring into softened vanilla ice cream.  The mixture is packed into a springform pan to form a cake, topped with some more of the coated cereal mixture, and then frozen until ready to serve. (Scroll below to see our video, showing you how easy it is to make this ice cream cake!)

Sounds so simple (it is) – and the results are so, so, so very, very good!  The chocolate-hazelnut Nutella and the creamy vanilla ice cream are perfect together, and the crispy, rice cereal lends the perfect light texture to this cake.

This Nutella crunch ice cream cake is a great dessert for feeding a crowd when you want something really delicious without having to go through too much of a fuss to prepare it.

Our Nutella crunch ice cream cake was inspired by this recipe – which we originally spotted on Pinterest.  The original version, using melted chocolate and peanut butter instead of the Nutella in our recipe, was cited as an award-winning recipe from the Utica Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Festival, and I can totally understand why!  In fact, if you are near Utica, Ohio – the 2013 festival is this coming weekend!

Nutella Crunch Ice Cream Cake - A Family Feast

We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!  (P.S. Check out our other version of his fantastic dessert using Biscoff!)

clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon print print icon squares squares icon
Nutella Crunch Ice Cream Cake - A Family Feast

Nutella Crunch Ice Cream Cake

• Prep Time: 8 hours
  • Total Time: 8 hours 5 minutes
  • Category: dessert
  • Method: freeze
  • Cuisine: American

• 2 cups Nutella
  • 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
  • 1 gallon vanilla ice cream

1. Place a 9 or 10 inch springform pan, as well as a very large mixing bowl in the freezer to chill.
  2. In a large saucepan over low heat, combine the Nutella and Rice Krispies cereal. Mix well until the Rice Krispies are completely coated with the Nutella. Remove from heat.
  3. Line a sheet pan or cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper. Pour the Nutella-Rice Krispies mixture onto the lined sheet pan and spread evenly. Then place in the freezer to chill.
  4. While the coated cereal mixture is cooling, remove the ice cream from the freezer and place in the refrigerator to soften.
  5. After about 30-45 minutes (you want the Nutella coated cereal to be cooled and firm but not frozen at this point) – using a fork and knife – cut the coated cereal into bite sized pieces. Place back into the freezer, if necessary, until the ice cream is softened.
  6. Once your ice cream is softened (it should be just softened enough to stir in the coated cereal but not so melted that it is runny), remove the Nutella-cereal pieces, the large mixing bowl and the springform pan from the freezer.
  7. Reserve 2 cups of the Nutella-cereal mixture.
  8. Quickly combine the ice cream and remaining coated cereal in the chilled mixing bowl, then pour the mixture into the chilled springform pan, packing it firmly so that there are no air pockets. Top the cake with the reserved Nutella-cereal mixture.
  9. Cover with plastic wrap and place the springform pan back into the freezer for at least 4-6 hours or overnight until completely frozen.
  10. Remove the cake from the freezer about 30-45 minutes before serving and place in the refrigerator to soften a bit.
  11. When ready to serve, place the cake on a platter or cake stand and remove the sides of the springform pan. Cut and serve immediately.

Keywords: ice cream, nutella, easy recipes

Biscoff Crunch Ice Cream Cake

Biscoff Crunch Ice Cream Cake - A Family Feast

The Best Vanilla Ice Cream

The Best Vanilla Ice Cream - A Family Feast

Chocolate Nutella Toffee Icebox Cake

Chocolate Nutella Toffee Icebox Cake by A Family Feast

Comments

• Maria wrote:

I pinned this way back but have been dying to make it. We celebrate my daughter’s birthday at Thanksgiving and this is what she wanted for her cake. Everyone loved it! The ice cream was an unexpected treat as we celebrated on a snowy Thanksgiving this year. Truly enjoy all your recipes and photos. Thank you.

Thank you so much Maria! We’re glad you all enjoyed it! Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Birthday to your daughter too!

• BeckyM wrote:

Hi! I would love to try this recipe, but my daughter has some nut sensitivities. Do you think you can substitute plain chocolate syrup for the Nutella?

Hi Becky – You want a chocolate that will firm up a bit when it’s cold – so I’d recommend melting some chocolate chips instead of using a syrup. Hope that helps!

• Becky M wrote:

I am going to try that- thanks!

• Erica wrote:

This is really good!!! I don’t have a springform pan, or a big enough family to eat the full recipe, or enough room in my freezer for a huge mixing bowl, cake pan, and cookie sheet. So I did roughly 2/3 recipe and used a 9×9 cake pan lined with heavy duty foil (so I could lift it out for easier slicing.) I used half of a “1gallon+1pint” bucket of ice cream, all of a 13oz jar of Nutella and 4 cups rice crispies. It turned out great! 🙂

We’re glad you enjoyed the recipe Erica! Thanks for writing to us today!

• Anne Powers wrote:

Love this recipie!! Just made it for a friends birthday and it was devoured! I made a small modification by baking a Nutella brownie in the spring pan then your recipie on top. MAGICAL! This is a favorite.

Sounds like a delicious variation Anne! Thanks for sharing!

• Todd wrote:

Can you use a 9 x 13 pan instead of a springform pan? Good dessert, but don’t have one of those pans!

Hi Todd – Yes you can – the springform makes it easier to serve (plus you can see the side of the cake) but any pan or pie dish will work!

• Delores wrote:

Hi there, what a great site you’ve created for us!! My husband’s birthday party is this weekend with our children and grandchildren and am so looking forward to sharing this with them as I make it for the first time. Crunchy and sweet, has to be yummy! Thanks much:)

Thanks Delores – We hope you all enjoy the cake!

Hi Dolores – You can find Biscoff at the supermarket usually in the same section as Nutella, or sometimes peanut butter. Hope that helps!

• Mary wrote:

Hi! I tried this recipe out yesterday for a family get together. I had the kids in mind when i made this n it was a complete success….but what i did not expect were all the sweet starved adults go completely crazy over it! Everyone broke their diets n their calorie counts….my uncle took an extra shot of insulin so he cud hav a ‘little” bit more! It was yummy n sweet n crunchy n creamy n everything in between…! Its amazing how the littlest of effort, time n ingredients can make a show stealer like this! Kudos for comin up with it!! N thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much for writing to us Mary! We’re glad you ALL enjoyed this recipe as much as we do ourselves!

• Lindy wrote:

This was amazing. And simple. Simply amazing. That is all.

LOL – Thank you so much Lindy! (We totally agree…) Thank you for taking the time to write to us!

• charlotte brown wrote:

Hi!

I wanted to make this dessert for my summer party tomorow night. What is 1 gallon of ice cream? Is a jar of 2 L enough?

I’m from Canada so I’m not very used to gallons..

Thanks!

Hi Charlotte – I just used an online conversion calculator and 1 gallon of ice cream = 3.7851 liters. If you use 2 liters, I would cut back a bit on the nutella and rice krispie mixture. Hope that helps!

• Lacey wrote:

My hubby just made this for my birthday. While the flavors are definitely good together, there is no way 1 gallon of ice cream will fit in a standard 9inch springform. He only ended up being able to use a standard 1/2 gallon of ice cream and then quickly realized that 4 cups of nutella coated krispies was going to be way too much, but not until after he had mixed it in. So it ended up being one giant soggy nutella coated rice krispie treat. I will def try again, but with 1/2 gallon of ice cream and maybe only 1-2 cups of rice krispies.

We’re sorry you had so much trouble with the recipe Lacey! Keeping both the mixing bowls and the springform pan very cold while you mix up the ice cream, and not allowing the ice cream to soften too much is definitely the key to avoiding a melted soggy mess with this recipe! I will share that the first time I made this recipe, I too thought that a gallon was way too much ice cream so I started with a 1/2 gallon. The ice cream melted on me the first time around – and it only filled the springform halfway. Our recipe as written is what worked best for us, but it does make a very large cake – so feel free to adjust as you need to. Thanks again for your feedback!!

• Agnes wrote:

I made this cake first time back in march for my daughter in-law birthday, it became instant hit!
    One of her sisters requested this cake for her b-day so I’m making it again, love it!

Thanks Agnes! (We love it too!)

• rosieposie wrote:

I made this but am trying it in a 9X13 cake pan. I will have to let you know if it works. The gallon of ice cream filled the cake pan to the top. Figured you could cut in squares. Can’t wait to try this. The Nutella rice crispy crunch was yummy, yummy, yummy. 🙂

Sounds great Rosie! Definitely – please let us know how it comes out in the pan!

• Erica wrote:

I’m curious to know how it turned out. I don’t have a springform pan and I was thinking about trying the 9×13 like you did, or an 8×8 and halve the recipe since we are a small family. How did it go in a casserole dish? I’m thinking about putting a layer of the nutella rice krispies on the bottom too…might make it easier to get out of the pan?? And you get more of that yummy crunch!…unless it gets soggy on the bottom.

• Carlo wrote:

I made this for a French Night last Sunday. Served it on a plate with Tarte Tatin and Creme Brulee as a trio of . Fantastic! So simple, yet so textured and tasty. Everybody commented on it . Thanks guys!

Glad you enjoyed it Carlo!

• This looks amazing! Sharing today on fb and g+!

Thanks Amy!

• samara wrote:

hi! I am from (and in) Brazil. Can’t wait to try this!!! I have a big doubt, though… I’ve googled that a gallon of ice cream is 3,8 liters. That sound like a lot, it doesn’t sound right to me, it’s twice a HUGE ice cream box, ans it would feed an army… Could you maybe tell me how much comes in this gallon, specify anything that can help me before I start the recipe please? Thank you so much!

Hi Samara – The first time I made this recipe I thought the same thing but I can confirm that a gallon of ice cream is the correct amount to make this cake in a 10-inch springform pan. It will fill the pan to the very top – and definitely feeds a crowd! Feel free to cut the recipe back to a smaller amount if you would like. Hope that helps!

• Samara wrote:

Thanks! Wow than it’s party food! I will definitely cut it in half then! Sorry haven’t answered earlier, didn’t get notified in my email, and even found it weird that you weren’t replying! Yay, your recipe will be made in Brazil now.

Hope you enjoy it Samara!

• Kim wrote:

I don’t have a springform pan but would love to make this. Any suggestions?

Hi Kim – I’ve seen a few other bloggers adapt our recipe for a deep pie dish and then just cut pie slices rather than cake slices. You’ll need to cut back on the recipe a bit since a full gallon will fill the springform pan to the top – but would be too much ice cream for a pie dish. Hope that helps! Thanks for writing to us today.

• Mary wrote:

I’ll be making this with my homemade dairy free Nutella and will be using So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean ice cream even it if is -5 in Chicago right now!

Oh WOW Mary! Sounds delicious and so glad you are able to adapt it to a dairy free recipe – I’d love to hear how it comes out for you! (It’s never too cold for ice cream…) Thanks for writing to us!

• Jen wrote:

Can you tell me, do the Nutella coated rice crispies stay crunchy both in the icecream, and the topping? Thank you

Hi Jen – Yes – they do keep some of their crunchiness…I’d compare it to a Rice Krispie Treat in consistency. Not completely crunch as if they were dry, but you still know that it is the crisped rice cereal. Hope that helps!

• Debby wrote:

Instead of nutella, do you think biscotti would work? It’s a spread like the nutella. It is to die for.

• Martha Pesa wrote:

Hi Debby! I haven’t tried it myself but yes, I think Biscoff will work! Great idea!

• Ariel wrote:

What would be the carbs per serving ?

• Martha Pesa wrote:

I’m sorry Ariel. We haven’t calculated that info for our recipes. You might be able to find an online tool where you can enter the ingredients and have that calculate the information you are looking for. Thanks.