This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Hershey’s Cocoa, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons Saigon Cinnamon (or regular cinnamon)
- ¾ teaspoon Mexican Chili Powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1¼ cups hot water
- Cinnamon Ice Cream, if desired for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a pot of water on the stove to very hot (just under a simmer).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine ¾ cup of the granulated sugar, flour, ¼ cup of the cocoa, baking powder, salt, Saigon Cinnamon and Mexican Chili Powder. Stir in milk, melted butter and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased 2-quart dish (as shown in our photos) or a 9-inch square baking pan and spread evenly.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar, remaining ¼ cup cocoa and brown sugar, and mix well. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the batter in your dish or pan. Pour the hot water over the top – but do not stir!
- Bake 35-40 minutes if using a dish (or 30-35 minutes if using the 9×9 pan) – or until the center is almost set. Remove your dish from the oven and allow it to stand for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, spoon the cake into individual serving bowls – making sure to spoon the fudgy sauce from the bottom of the pan over the top of the cake. Add a scoop of cinnamon ice cream if desired and serve immediately.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.