This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 1 loaf country white bread or French bread ,crusts removed and cut into two inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups raisins or currants
- 2 cups walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup extra sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup queso fresco cheese crumbled (or Farmer’s cheese)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream for garnish, optional
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar for whipped cream
- Additional cinnamon to sprinkle over whipped cream
- Place cubed bread in a large bowl.
- In a medium sauce pan, place brown sugar, water and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and heat five minutes uncovered. Pour over bread and toss to combine.
- Add raisins, walnuts and both cheeses. Toss to combine.
- Heavily butter a 2 quart casserole dish with the two tablespoons of butter and pour mixture in. Let sit 20 minutes at room temperature.
- While the bread is absorbing the liquid, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- After 20 minutes, place in oven uncovered and bake for 30 minutes.
- While pudding is baking, whip cream, if using, with powdered sugar and set aside.
- Remove pudding from the oven and serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream sprinkled with a little more cinnamon.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.