With all of the snow and cold weather we’re having here in New England, I think Mother Nature needs a strong reminder that Spring is just a few weeks away! (Seriously – I am SO. READY. for some warm and sunny weather!)
So what better way to get Mother Nature to sit up and take some notice than with these pretty little Lemon Mousse Cups!
These bite-sized desserts have a light, bright and creamy lemon flavor thanks to a combination of homemade lemon curd (see our recipe here), mascarpone cheese, a touch of limoncello and lemon extract, plus heavy cream. All of those ingredients are simply combined together – then piped into store-bought crispy mini fillo cups.
In our recipe below, we also show you how to make those pretty little candied lemon slices that we used to garnish the lemon mousse cups! It’s an easy way to make this simple little dessert look extra fancy – plus the candied lemon adds another sweet burst of citrusy flavor!Print
For the Candied Lemon Slices
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 lemons sliced into ¼ inch slices
For the Lemon Mousse
- ¾ cup lemon curd (see our recipe here)
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon limoncello
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 boxes Athens brand Mini Fillo Shells (total 30 cups)
- Heat sugar and water to boiling. Add lemon slices, reduce to a simmer and cook 30 minutes. Dry for one hour on a rack covered with wax or parchment paper. Cut each slice into quarters and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, place lemon curd, mascarpone, limoncello and lemon extract. Mix with a whisk until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat cream to stiff peaks and fold into the lemon mixture.
- Place filling into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and pipe evenly into the mini fillo shells.
- Top each with a candied lemon slice and serve.
You may also like: