Another one of my favorite things about summer is this Lemon Blueberry Cream Pie! It’s the perfect summer dessert when fresh blueberries are in season.
This lemon blueberry cream pie recipe has been in my collection for many years and I always dig it out right around this time of year when blueberries are their sweetest! I originally clipped the recipe from the pages of Better Homes & Garden magazine, and credit for this wonderful pie goes to Catherine Schott from Needham, Massachusetts who entered this recipe in the magazine’s contest for custard and cream pies. She won a $400 prize for this recipe – but it’s so good – it’s a grand prize winner in my book!
It’s a super easy recipe to make! This pie has a luscious filling made from a sweet and lemony curd that takes just minutes to make. Once the curd cools, it gets mixed with sour cream and fresh blueberries. Then the filling is poured into a light and flaky baked pie crust and refrigerated until chilled – and you’re done! This pie has the perfect amount of bright lemony, creamy flavor and the burst of the sweet blueberries is pure summertime in your mouth!
The original recipe also suggests an optional topping of sweetened whip cream when serving. But this pie is so creamy and delicious as is, we’ve never added that topping – but I’m sure it would be delicious either way!Print
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust (see our How To Blind Bake a Pie Crust)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 3 beaten egg yolks
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 packed tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel (approximately 2 lemons)
- ¼ cup lemon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 8-ounce container sour cream
- 2 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and cleaned
- Optional: Sweetened whipped cream and lemon slices for garnish
- Prepare a baked pie crust according to your recipe instructions and let cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, milk, egg yolks, butter and lemon peel. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick and bubbly. Cook and stir for two minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl and immediately cover with plastic wrap, pushing down and making sure that the plastic is touching the top of the lemon curd so that a skin doesn’t form. Let cool to room temperature.
- When the lemon curd has cooled, gently stir in the sour cream and blueberries, taking care not to break the blueberries. When mixed completely, pour into your baked pie crust.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- If desired, serve with sweetened whipped cream and garnish with lemon slices.
You may also like: