This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound Cremini mushrooms (baby bella), sliced
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 3 cups onion, diced large
- 2 pounds green cabbage, cored and shredded about 1/4” thick
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 ½ cups well drained sauerkraut (1 14.4-ounce can)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon dry marjoram
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream, divided
- 1 12-ounce bag egg noodles
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Note: If you have a wide, high skillet or fry pan, that is best as this dish needs a large surface to caramelize. However, a 5 quart Dutch oven will work just fine.
- Heat olive oil and two tablespoons of butter over high heat. Once the butter starts to brown, add the mushrooms and cook on high for ten minutes. Remove the cooked mushrooms to a medium bowl.
- Lower temperature to medium high.
- Add two more tablespoons of butter and once melted, add ground beef. Cook until no longer pink, about 3-4 minutes. Remove to the bowl with the mushrooms.
- Add two more tablespoons of butter and add the onions. Cook until caramelized, about five minutes.
- Move the onions to the outer edge of the pan and add two more tablespoons of butter and add cabbage and caraway seeds. Cook about five minutes to start to break down the cabbage then add the mushrooms and beef back in along with the remained butter, the well-drained sauerkraut, bay leaf, thyme, marjoram, paprika, salt, pepper and one half cup of the sour cream.
- Once the mixture starts to bubble, reduce to medium to medium low and cook uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon to make sure it doesn’t stick. If it starts to stick before 45 minutes, add a little olive oil and continue to cook.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- While Lazanki is cooking, cook egg noodles per package directions.
- To serve, spoon noodles into a bowl, then place ladles full of the Lazanki on top. Top with a dollop of sour cream, and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.