This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Interested in more chicken recipes? Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- 18 whole fresh chicken wings
- 1 ripe Anjou pear
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (4 ounces in weight)
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili sauce
- ½ stick butter
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons garlic chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling
- 2 scallions (green tops only) minced for sprinkling
- Remove wing tips and freeze for stock. Separate wing portion from drum portion. Set aside.
- Peel and core pear and cut up. Place in food processor and puree. Add this to a medium bowl.
- Add onion and garlic to food processor and puree. Add this to pear puree.
- Add all other marinade ingredients and stir to combine.
- Place chicken pieces in a gallon zip lock bag and pour in marinade. Make sure all wings are coated, seal and refrigerate overnight.
- Make dipping sauce by placing all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer, then remove from heat. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- The next day, rinse off marinade and pat wings dry with paper towels. Must be dry so they won’t splatter in the hot oil.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven about half filled with oil. Heat to 350 degrees F using a candy thermometer.
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F to keep batches warm between frying.
- Cook wing pieces in three batches by placing in hot oil and frying for 8 minutes. Try to maintain the oil at 350 degrees F.
- Reheat dipping sauce to room temperature.
- Using a spider or strainer, remove cooked wings to a large bowl and ladle in one third of the dipping sauce then toss in the bowl. Pour out onto a sheet pan and hold in the warm oven.
- Repeat for the second and third batches.
- To serve, pour wings out onto a platter and top with sesame seeds and scallions.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.