This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- ¼ cup finely diced salt pork (rinse all visible salt before dicing)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Big pinch red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, minced
- ¾ pound peeled, diced new red potatoes
- ¼ cup white wine
- 4 cups strong fish stock or 4 cups bottle clam juice with one teaspoon clam base or any other strong stock such as lobster or shrimp
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomato (we like Cento)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¼ pounds fresh cod or halibut cut into one inch chunks.
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Place salt pork and olive oil in a medium to large heavy bottomed pot. Cook over medium high heat until the salt pork is rendered and slightly brown.
- Add onions, peppers and celery and sauté three to five minutes or until celery is tender. Add garlic and sauté one more minute.
- Add red pepper, thyme, oregano, parsley and diced potatoes. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until the wine has reduced by half.
- Add fish stock, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper and stir.
- Reduce to medium and cook about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning then add the fish. Gently stir and cook over medium heat for about two to three minutes or until fish is cooked through. Do not stir too much or you will break apart the fish.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.