Today’s Grilled Chicken Calzone is a super simple recipe that bakes up in less than ten minutes – and it’s perfect for a busy weeknight meal!
It’s also one more recipe that uses our béchamel sauce recipe from earlier this week! In fact – in case you didn’t notice – this recipe uses many of the same ingredients that we used in our White Chicken Pizza recipe – also from earlier this week! (After all, a calzone IS essentially a pizza folded in half before baking!
For today’s Grilled Chicken Calzone, slices of cooked chicken are layered on top of the béchamel, then spoonfuls of pesto, sliced roasted red peppers and mozzarella cheese are placed on top of that before folding the dough and pinching the sides closed.
Feel free to mix up the topping inside your calzone – the process regardless of the filling is essentially the same! And to make things even simpler, you can always buy store-bought pizza dough to make your calzones – but if you’d rather a homemade version, we include a link to our pizza dough in the recipe below.
Interested in more chicken recipes?
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- 1 10-ounce pizza dough, see recipe here or store bought
- ¼ cup béchamel sauce, see recipe here
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers, jarred is fine or roast your own
- 1 tablespoons pesto, see our recipe here or use jarred
- 4 ounces grilled and sliced chicken breast
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Flour for dusting the kitchen counter
- Corn meal for dusting the pizza peel
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F and place a pizza stone on the bottom rack.
- Roll the dough out to 12 inches round on a floured surface.
- Dust the pizza peel with corn meal and transfer the dough round to the peel.
- Coat half the dough round with the béchamel sauce leaving a half inch around edge.
- Place chicken and all other toppings including cheese over sauce.
- Wet the edge of the filled half with water and fold the other half over and pinch seam closed. Then roll and pinch the edges closed, pulling bottom edge up over top edge, pinching again as you go from one side to the other.
- Poke a few knife slits in the top and slide onto the pizza stone.
- Bake for about nine minutes until totally browned.
- Remove and enjoy.
You may also like: